Property Prices In Your Area

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just an aside here... I was looking around on this forum site and came across this ad from @Guy F.

It is dated last year. Some of you might find this interesting? This looks to be a beautiful home in a nice location and for a similar price to what I have heard others here describe for basic rubbish pits or simply overpriced real estate. Hell no, I don't have that kind of money in my pocket right now, but I am impressed with this place. It looks like real quality. (And no, Guy F did not influence me - I don't even know this gentleman)

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/28301-4br-3bath-house-on-1000sqm-dauis-bohol/

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Just an aside here... I was looking around on this forum site and came across this ad from @Guy F.

It is dated last year. Some of you might find this interesting? This looks to be a beautiful home in a nice location and for a similar price to what I have heard others here describe for basic rubbish pits or simply overpriced real estate. Hell no, I don't have that kind of money in my pocket right now, but I am impressed with this place. It looks like real quality. (And no, Guy F did not influence me - I don't even know this gentleman)

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/28301-4br-3bath-house-on-1000sqm-dauis-bohol/

Yes, we love Bohol but unsure about the schools and hospitals.  There is a new hospital that Guy says is good but we didn't need to stop by to check it out!  I don't think there are any private schools on Panglao.  Our German Air Bnb host in Dauis drove his kids 30-45 minutes one way to a private school in Tagbilaran.

I'm sure Guy's house is well built, but that price is not in my budget.  That is close to $300,000 USD.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

That certainly looks to be a beautiful property. 'Built to European Specification' is certainly an interesting statement though.

I think he did supervise construction very closely and he imported a lot of stuff.  That is probably why he thinks it is worth so much.  It was done before I moved here.  I'm not sure if he retained any of the U.S. Navy concrete, but that stuff is like super concrete!  I think my Danish cabinetmaker neighbor did all the kitchen cabinets, closets, etc., and he is not cheap.  Super high quality though.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If you have experience of building then by all means get hands on but, as they say a little knowledge is dangerous.  I found this out when I made some suggestions to a contractor on a relatively small job and then, when we got him to do a bigger job he sent his guys and told them to ask me if they had any problems with the job - kinda embarrassing to tell them I had no building industry experience.  I'll admit that whilst some of the work is not the best, it's outside of my knowledge to advise and guide.  Indeed, it can have the effect of creating even worse results due to damaged pride - as anyone who has tried to advise a professional in their country will know!

I'd always say the absolutely best policy is to do everything you can to choose a suitable contractor upfront and then leave them to do their job - i don't have the time, energy or knowledge to manage a building project better then they.

Just me though! 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

If you have experience of building then by all means get hands on but, as they say a little knowledge is dangerous.  I found this out when I made some suggestions to a contractor on a relatively small job and then, when we got him to do a bigger job he sent his guys and told them to ask me if they had any problems with the job - kinda embarrassing to tell them I had no building industry experience.  I'll admit that whilst some of the work is not the best, it's outside of my knowledge to advise and guide.  Indeed, it can have the effect of creating even worse results due to damaged pride - as anyone who has tried to advise a professional in their country will know!

I'd always say the absolutely best policy is to do everything you can to choose a suitable contractor upfront and then leave them to do their job - i don't have the time, energy or knowledge to manage a building project better then they.

Just me though! 

Yes, I'm in the same boat.  I have done a lot of construction related work when I was younger but as far as structural integrity and building techniques, I got zilch!  However, I would like to have a good contractor walk me through certain things so I can understand their thought process and hopefully no red flags are raised.  It would also be good to have someone knowledgeable as your wingman.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

There is someone we know who lives here in England and has a very nice house over in the Philippines and is selling it now on all places Facebook, plus agents over there I would have thought.

Maybe it’s on Facebook to show off to everyone what she has got to sell, it was on for 6.5 million peso then the following week it went up to 7.5 million peso, I am really hoping it will be still on Facebook in many years time not being sold, greedy show off people .

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

There is someone we know who lives here in England and has a very nice house over in the Philippines and is selling it now on all places Facebook, plus agents over there I would have thought.

Maybe it’s on Facebook to show off to everyone what she has got to sell, it was on for 6.5 million peso then the following week it went up to 7.5 million peso, I am really hoping it will be still on Facebook in many years time not being sold, greedy show off people .

Actually FB Marketplace has taken off as a place to sell things because as of now it is free.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Actually FB Marketplace has taken off as a place to sell things because as of now it is free.

Yes I have brought and sold on there , goods for a for quid, but nothing like tens of thousands ££££££££, 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I'm in the same boat.  I have done a lot of construction related work when I was younger but as far as structural integrity and building techniques, I got zilch!  However, I would like to have a good contractor walk me through certain things so I can understand their thought process and hopefully no red flags are raised.  It would also be good to have someone knowledgeable as your wingman.

I am very fortunate to have L as my wingwoman! She had her home and apartment constructed a few years ago and understands so much about the engineering and also local building standards. She listens to my concerns and either explains the issues to me or talks directly to the foreman or contractors. I am lucky to have this girl by my side.

As HK and OMW suggest, it is not easy or recommended to supervise a build here on your own, or maybe even at all... So we just sort of semi-supervise by adding thoughts and suggestions and they are well accepted by the foreman and contractors.... so far...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So we just sort of semi-supervise...

Great if you have the expertise, Tom...IF being the key word