Internet provider speeds.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, carbpow said:

I would like to get fiber or broadband in my house but cannot seem to, perhaps someone else has had our experience and can offer advice. PLDT and Converge both have fiber on the main road at the entrance to the subdivision. Converge said they could provide service and took our 5000php deposit. Installers came and said it was too far to run as there was no space in the box close to our subdivision. So we requested a return of our deposit but that was 2 months ago and they are unresponsive. Next we contacted PLDT. Salesman came  and said they could provide service, didn't ask for a deposit. Installer came and said no available connection in the box. Called salesman and he said he checked and there was space. Made another application and another installer said no space in the box for another connection.

To my simple mind the thing for both companies to do would be to install a bigger junction box as there are two new developments being built. When I mentioned this the office of PLDT said, "They are expensive." Converge doesn't reply, their customer service is worse than average.

So we remain on a wifi box from Globe. Slow and expensive.

It's a common problem - they aren't really interested in expanding their capacity in the boxes.  In our area we had the same issue where the PLDT sales person insisted there was capacity but the technician said not.  I can guess why!  We finally managed to get Globe to install a line but it has pushed the box beyond capacity which very occasionally causes an issue if everyone is using it at the same time - a rare occurrence. They seem to be focusing on expanding the fiber network than adding to existing junction boxes. 

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Out here in the boonies my globe at home goes from a high of "slow" to a low of Nothing.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm fortunate, as though we are at least 3 miles out from the nearest town, on a rural road,  the PLDT 'Home Fiber' line runs along the front of our property, and we were hooked up as soon as the line became 'live'.

Currently on 25 meg package, which usually runs at 27 or 28 meg.  p1899 per month, without the (provided) landline phone being used for outgoing calls.

Previous to that I used a wifi modem, holding a Smart data SIM, with antenna atop a 35ft pole.

Kept that equipment, as backup. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

Out here in the boonies my globe at home goes from a high of "slow" to a low of Nothing.......

Have you ever looked at ways to improve that? 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

I know of subdivisions in my area where the internet companies maximum installed capacity is less than 50% of the build out of lots.  Until there is a high enough demand for new installations they won't do anything. 

I don’t know if it’s the same where you are, but both Globe and PLDT have been running promos here offering high speed internet over the last few months, with pop-up stands in malls and even in sub-divisions. I am sure they haven’t increased the capacity of the system in anticipation of increased demand! 

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Have you ever looked at ways to improve that? 

Yes, i have a booster but it is a over capacity issue mixed with a terrain issue. If i have big files to download i just take the old globe at home with me up the hill and wala, different cell tower and 6mbps speed.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gbmmbg said:

Yes, i have a booster but it is a over capacity issue mixed with a terrain issue. If i have big files to download i just take the old globe at home with me up the hill and wala, different cell tower and 6mbps speed.

If you can 'hire' a location at someone's property on the hill (and it's line of sight to your house) then put a wifi repeater attached to a beam antenna pointing at your house (and if needed another beam antenna at your house pointing at the repeater) then you could maybe get that 6MBPs relayed to your house.  A lot of ifs I know but I've seen it done before a few times.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2020 at 11:03 PM, Huggybearman said:

I don’t know if it’s the same where you are, but both Globe and PLDT have been running promos here offering high speed internet over the last few months, with pop-up stands in malls and even in sub-divisions. I am sure they haven’t increased the capacity of the system in anticipation of increased demand! 

I think they have but only where they have run new fiber optic lines like on main roads and selected areas.

• 4 weeks later...
carbpow
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, hk blues said:

It's a common problem - they aren't really interested in expanding their capacity in the boxes.  In our area we had the same issue where the PLDT sales person insisted there was capacity but the technician said not.  I can guess why!  We finally managed to get Globe to install a line but it has pushed the box beyond capacity which very occasionally causes an issue if everyone is using it at the same time - a rare occurrence. They seem to be focusing on expanding the fiber network than adding to existing junction boxes. 

Finally got internet. Fiber from PLDT and it works well. However, it wasn't easy. As the box was full close to us had to pay to run fiber about 1 km from a box that had an opening. Cost? 15000. It is super fast, anywhere from 100 to 150 depending on time of day.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I never thought I would miss the Internet in the Philippines but I do.  The cable internet service I have in Canada is just slightly faster and more reliable than the Philippines but the mobile data service in Canada is 10 times the cost of the mobile data service in Philippines and that's no exageration.

• Like 2