Internal walls

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Internal walls that are not going to be load bearing what is the best way , brick/ breeze blocks or wooden batons and plaster board, now here in England it’s wood and plasterboard all the way, but I am building in the Philippines so again I am asking for your advice of those who have gone before me and maybe have tried different ways of building for the long term.

Trying to talk to bedroom ,walk in closets and bathroom designer Emma Woolley is causing more stress for her and me trying to say wait until we are there before you start doing drawings of grand designs.

Also the cost difference  of what may be between both brick and plaster board , the size of the wall would be around 6-7 meters long with two openings for doors and the height around 3 meters , I would prefer plasterboard for quickness but are there builders who can do it this way ,anyway I will thank you all now for reading and for those who reply too.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I would prefer plasterboard

I have never seen that here. Maybe in the rich peoples houses? Isn't that the same as drywall?:89:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I have never seen that here. Maybe in the rich peoples houses? Isn't that the same as drywall?:89:

Yes the same , it’s just another thought by me to see if it’s doable, but is it survivable in the Philippines heat and bugs .

Plus why I am on the subject about building, does anyone know anything about the ceilings  in some houses that seem to have different layers of wooden boards to make a nice patten , I have tried to get a picture down loaded to show but no luck so far.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Yes the same , it’s just another thought by me to see if it’s doable, but is it survivable in the Philippines heat and bugs .

Plus why I am on the subject about building, does anyone know anything about the ceilings  in some houses that seem to have different layers of wooden boards to make a nice patten , I have tried to get a picture down loaded to show but no luck so far.

If I were you I would not build anything until you find a trusted contractor. You can find them by asking the owners of recently constructed houses what their experiences were.:unsure:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Internal walls that are not going to be load bearing what is the best way , brick/ breeze blocks or wooden batons and plaster board, now here in England it’s wood and plasterboard all the way, but I am building in the Philippines so again I am asking for your advice of those who have gone before me and maybe have tried different ways of building for the long term.

Trying to talk to bedroom ,walk in closets and bathroom designer Emma Woolley is causing more stress for her and me trying to say wait until we are there before you start doing drawings of grand designs.

Also the cost difference  of what may be between both brick and plaster board , the size of the wall would be around 6-7 meters long with two openings for doors and the height around 3 meters , I would prefer plasterboard for quickness but are there builders who can do it this way ,anyway I will thank you all now for reading and for those who reply too.

Here, they don't seem to use plasterboard much if at all.   Anyway, they tend to use a product known as Hardiflex for walls and ceilings.  It comes in various thicknesses and applications.  They tend to avoid wood as much as possible due to potential termite problems so metal batons is the way. 

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Here, they don't seem to use plasterboard much if at all.   Anyway, they tend to use a product known as Hardiflex for walls and ceilings.  It comes in various thicknesses and applications.  They tend to avoid wood as much as possible due to potential termite problems so metal batons is the way. 

I was just going to mention Hardiflex. We used lightweight Hardiflex for the ceilings because of the metal batons are really flimsy and don't take much weight unless screwed into the ceiling.

For the walls we used Hollow Block and skim coat

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone , great ideas in your own mind once spoken to others are not that great anymore , but that’s why asking those who have been before makes sense .:thumbsup:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I was just going to mention Hardiflex. We used lightweight Hardiflex for the ceilings because of the metal batons are really flimsy and don't take much weight unless screwed into the ceiling.

I am hoping not to use this, but just have the full hight and painted and may just trunking for the electrics .

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Was talking to our roofing contractor just yesterday about ceilings, he suggested using gyprock (plaster board). I suggested hardiflex to which he said no as it gkes wavy after a time.