British guy and wife kidnapped

graham59
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

"It's been a while since an incident of kidnapping happened in our area. We are alarmed,” said Galvez

Oh, how reassuring. :sad:

No way will I be venturing into 'harms way' in that region of the Phils.  A well-known risk,  and pointless. 

Good luck to the unfortunate victims of those animals. 

Even elsewhere in the Phils...as a (perceived)  'millionaire' foreigner, low-profile at all times is recommended, as others have mentioned. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The crooks here have a saying' "The higher the fence, the bigger the treasure". :sad:

42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

With all due respect Tom, you are contradicting yourself in this section.  Everything we do to protect our property is at the same time sending a  message we have something to protect!  It's a balancing act and perhaps a timely reminder to us all that we need to be very, very careful about where we choose to live.  

Yeah... I hear you both, loud and clear. I do realize the contradiction. So the idea is to try to make a sort of middle ground here - fences to deter (similar to others in the area) and other reasonable "defenses". Your comments, HK are especially well received regarding being very careful. The area is generally considered safe. There is only one access road and just not a lot of people around. So anyone not native will be noticed and noted. If anyone is there for bad purpose, they will need at least a sturdy tricycle or a car of some type. Any of these will be quite unusual.

Your thoughts also mirror mine and L's... No razor wire or anything extreme. If someone does enter the property, it will be because they have bad intent so will be obvious - no reason to make it easy...

And no... there is no perfect solution - I totally realize that. So I am just trying to make the best of it with this balancing act. I am old anyway so if s*** happens in spite of the preparations and precautions, then, I guess, so be it... The ultimate and last choice is to hire armed guard(s) which I think would be of dubious value - I see some around here and they sleep very soundly after about 10 pm...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, virginprune said:

Keeping a low profile is always a good way to live here, or anywhere in asia for that matter IMHO.

Exactly right, no matter how much money you have. Most people here in the Phills seem to think that ALL foreigners are rich.:shake_80_anim_gif: 

• Like 5

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

If you are going to spend the next one or two years in captivity  then get your head cut off , perhaps a more violent reaction to being kidnapped is the answer 

Your going to die anyway 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

There seem to have been a lot of foreigner deaths around Dumaguete and Sipalay, lest those of us outside of Mindanao assume we are safe.  I for one won't be setting foot in Mindanao...no offense to those of you who live there.  

When we build, the plan will be for it not to be visible from the road.  It will also not just be a house, but more of a compound that can house other family members that will want to live there and farm.  We've decided to keep it unpretentious from the outside, and hopefully the presence of other locals at all times would dissuade any miscreants. 

Even so, one still needs to move around and travel some.  We drive a local, cheap little truckster thing, and avoid remote areas that are prone to rebels.  Wife has warned me numerous times not to pull out a wad of 1000's when I'm paying for something -- I'm learning.  In general, we try to be as local as possible, and not to come across as 'rich' foreigners.  Yeah I know, we are all rich. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I for one won't be setting foot in Mindanao...no offense to those of you who live there. 

None taken (well not me at least) but I will make the observation that not all of Mindanao has the same travel rating, the area where the kidnappings took place is as far west into the Red area as you can get and still stay on Mindanao but most of the east of Mindano (including the 2 largest cities Davao and Cagayan De Oro) is Orange (the rest of the Philippines are Yellow, none of it is Green).

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

There is only one access road and just not a lot of people around. So anyone not native will be noticed and noted. If anyone is there for bad purpose, they will need at least a sturdy tricycle or a car of some type. Any of these will be quite unusual.

If they want you they will just wait until you are moving and ambush your car. So building a fort wont solve that.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

None taken (well not me at least) but I will make the observation that not all of Mindanao has the same travel rating, the area where the kidnappings took place is as far west into the Red area as you can get and still stay on Mindanao but most of the east but the east of Mindano is Orange (the rest of the Philippines are Yellow, none of it is Green).

Capture.JPG

I've ventured into the orange area a couple of times , I've been to kidawapan and massim , I felt okay in kadawapan,  but massim had my senses up , it felt like I was getting too close to abu sayef country 

Davao feels very safe , I think that you have to do something stupid there to place yourself in danger , my little farm to the north of toril feels fine , two purok leaders and the baranguy captain have assured me that I'm safe , I guess as long as I keep paying the wages of my two workers lol gfs, mama has worked all over mindanao as a teacher and then a pastor , I asked her advise, bearing in mind that shes been in the red areas and had both Islamic and communist terrorists as potential threats , she told me , get to know the baranguy captain , they hear many things and if they like you will warn you of danger 

I can only explain it as lessons learned from growing up in Glasgow of old , I just had an internal antenna that would twitch when there was a dangerous situation , ive had a variety of weapons pulled on me , I hope my antenna does not fail me 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I live in the eastern end of the red area.....oh well.