Sign in to follow this  
Mike J

5000 Inmates die each year

On 10/10/2019 at 8:01 AM, Tommy T. said:

That's an interesting and sad story ultimately. The rate for "beds" is higher than some decent hotels.

With all due respect, Tom, I hear this often.  The hotel rate doesn't include 24/7 security. all meals, etc etc etc.  If it was that simple, governments would be renting hotel rooms rather than building prisons.  

• Like 2

Yeah, HK , I know that, and you are quite right. I was being a bit sarcastic - a bad trait of mine... I just have a problem relating crime verses punishment. (That is a great novel, by the way, but challenging to read cover to cover, "Crime and Punishment").

I don't have the solution, but I keep thinking that, if someone commits the crime and "does the time" maybe it should be a bit less than a room with TV and exercise area, 3 meals/day? Maybe there should be something a bit more punitive. I also am aware that simply being incarcerated is a real punishment too... I don't have the solution, just questions, I guess...

Edited by Tommy T.

I'm not in favor of prisons being run like holiday camps but it shouldn't be a death sentence to be in one either (unless you've actually been sentenced to death ie).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I also am aware that simply being incarcerated is a real punishment too... 

I think that is the intended purpose of imprisonment/incarceration - loss of liberty.  The idea of rehabilitation is noble but seems to have got lost in the reality of the system.    

• Like 4

The husband of my wife's niece has been in prison for a few months now for selling shabu, she says they sleep side by side on the floor and his body is now covered with a rash and he gets no sleep, I'm pretty sure he will die in there but he must have known what he was getting into. They have 9 kids and I remember my wife telling him years ago after about the 5th one to get his tubes tied, he said "it was god's will that he have as many babies as possible" We have sent them money over the years for food and paid for all of his children's schooling and put one through college. We just arrived in the Philippines last Tuesday and all the children that I remember from last time I was here are grown and have children, this place is one big baby factory.