Planning the sizes of your rooms

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have the plans for the house in the Philippines and all the sizes and where the beams are and so on and now it’s up to us to put the interior walls in where we think the best place is for them, it’s just a bedroom plus a bathroom then the rest is all open space for now.

Well I have married a great women with many talents but her latest talent is a interior designer plus architect but this is where the problems start, I want a big bedroom I want a walk-in closet I want a big bathroom and on it goes, the bedroom and bathroom here in England are large and I was thinking of having the same size there , but no she wants bigger, a walk-in closet what’s that about, for our cloths she says, but it’s a holiday destination not home , but we can put the cases in there too.

We both have drawn our little plans on paper but the difference is my plans are drawn to size plus I have allowed for the brickwork and door openers, Ems plans are nice too with all the different colours on the walls and bedding plus it’s the best walk in shower I have ever seen.

I am sure once we get there both plans will be thrown out of the window and it will be I forgot about that, but one thing is for sure  the budget is the same as years gone by plus it’s a one bedroom ONLY .

Funny how talking about plans how easy it is to fall out or pull a face or the best one ‘ why bother then let’s forget about it ‘ then the lip falls down, and no that’s not me .

• Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

How many rooms will her family require while you are away ?  :unsure:

I just have an extra room added on, when I get bored. :biggrin:

Is your house going to be 'American/rich Filipino style' (massive rooms)... or UK shoe box style (not enough room to swing a cat) ?

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

How many rooms will her family require while you are away ?  :unsure:

I just have an extra room added on, when I get bored. :biggrin:

Is your house going to be 'American/rich Filipino style' (massive rooms)... or UK shoe box style (not enough room to swing a cat) ?

Who knows what will happen while I am not there, that’s why it’s going to be done they way I want it, 1 bedroom built like a bank vault , 1 bathroom then the rest is open , that’s where there will be bed mattresses spread all over the place when we are not there.

Its hard trying to explain it’s a holiday home built on top of the family home to Emma but with all the experience I have had over the years my guard is never down concerning my money and what I think is best for me and Emma. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

May I suggest you stay at a nearby resort or hotel during this first extended visit? See how things go first.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Old55 said:

May I suggest you stay at a nearby resort or hotel during this first extended visit? See how things go first.

We have booked into a apartment for the first month, just a 10 minute walk away from the house, we did stay here the last time we was in the Philippines.

So we can be in hand to get the building done and make changers straight away if any needs to be done, if its liveable after the first month we will be in the place but we have plans to visit friends the most of January and also to have a holiday ourselves , I would love to go back to Legaspi for a few days to see the volcano , but I am open to changers ,plus I am sure the father in law and brother will be tagging along . 

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, stevewool said:

1 bedroom built like a bank vault , 1 bathroom then the rest is open

Two thoughts:

1. Wow I had a similar thing in mind when we build.  A kind of 'inner sanctum' that is off limits to everyone, fitted out properly and luxurious.

2. I had an architect friend who was taught to plan rooms using circles.  Let me explain:  He would start by the estimated square footage needed for a bathroom, a kitchen, a living room, or whatever.  These estimates are based on your personal needs and tastes.  He would cut out circles from paper, representing the different sq. footage requirements.  Then he would arrange the circles according to which rooms should touch which other rooms, or which side of the house the bedroom should be on, etc.  Once the circular cluster was figured out this way, he would sketch the walls in to end up with rectangular shaped final rooms.  This approach could be helpful if you have a wide open space and don't know where to start.

• Like 1