All things considered, Where is the best place to settle in the Philippines?

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

We live on Luzon sort of between Olongapo/Subic and Angelese so although very rural good amenities are on our doorstep. The wife is from Dumeguete and mother in law from Baybay Leyte so we are fairly well travelled, many filipinos have barely been to the next town let alone the next island. Negro is ok but becomes very remote once you get outside the large cities, only two really. In the Philippines they have different levels of city, so of the lower grades we would think of as little more than large towns, but hay it gives them some civic pride I guess. Leyte, the small bits I have travelled is not dissimilar to Negros. We spent a couple of nights on Bohol and it gave a nice feel, a bit sleepy and easy going. I would like to see more of Bohol. I've been to Cebu City 2-3 times and to me it was the sort of place to pass through as quickly as possible, a bit like Manila, a necessary evil on your travels. Bicol on Luzon was nice, we stayed near Lagaspi for a few nights. I think wherever you end up the most important thing is to make yourself comfortable. Just putting aircon in our bedroom so I could sleep nights made such a difference.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 5

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

I have lived in cebu city and 50km south of the city for the last year. The amount of trash you see everywhere is staggering. It can take one hour to go 7km. The widest road is only two lanes each way, not counting the lane with the tree in the middle. We are currently up at our place in lipa city and it is night and day compared to cebu. There is 4 lanes going each way downtown and the city is only 300,000 people. I fell in love with cebu the first time i was theren in 1985 but the island has gone down hill. All I'm saying is look long and hard before you pick a place you want to live. Just my 2 cents, and welcome the the Philippines.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Manila and Cebu are the largest cities in the Philippines, that means they've got the widest choice of facilities (of things westerners are used to) but it also means they're the most heavily polluted, suffer from the worst traffic problems and cost the most to live in.  Then there are more remote small cities and towns, those tend to have less traffic problems but also smaller more basic hospitals and shopping.

Honestly I prefer middle sized cities... enough 'western facilities' that it isn't a problem buying stuff but not so big that the pollution and traffic becomes truly painful.

Now which middle size place... that's the question isn't it :)

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, "P2" said:

I have asked my wife but she hasn't lived there in over 21 years so a lot has changed since she's been there....

I'd say a good starting place would be where your wife is from - that may not be the best choice but it's a starting point at least to make a list of pros and cons which you can then use to "rate" other places.  

If you want a better indication from the people here, I'd suggest you note down a simple list of what you're looking for and what you're looking to avoid.  Posters can then advise how their locations measure up - what works for me may not for you.  

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

Batangas

WRONG..Cavite.:shades:

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

You may want to do some research before you decide. The Philippines has alot of areas that could become problems in the future. Might want to use this website to steer away from some of the problem areas.  https://hazardhunter.georisk.gov.ph/

That's an excellent link. Thank you. Here's something to go with it, to explain the PEIS earthquake scale used at your link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHIVOLCS_Earthquake_Intensity_Scale

Bohol is my choice for best place to live.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

WRONG..Cavite.:shades:

Sorry but in research, it has been provided by all the members that come and Visit us the 2nd Thursday of the Month, DUMAGUETE,  still has the torch alight.

Come on Down and Try The Ambiance of REAL people :hystery: not just Keyboard Warriors :whistling:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

"P2"
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

You may want to do some research before you decide. The Philippines has alot of areas that could become problems in the future. Might want to use this website to steer away from some of the problem areas.  https://hazardhunter.georisk.gov.ph/

You might be interested in looking at this database of Terrorist activity in the Philippines. Pretty comprehensive and eye opening. Kind of gives you an idea of where the threats are mostly. You can sort it by city to see how much reported terrorist activity is in your town....

https://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/Results.aspx?country=160 

• Like 1