All things considered, Where is the best place to settle in the Philippines?

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, "P2" said:

You might be interested in looking at this database of Terrorist activity in the Philippines. Pretty comprehensive and eye opening. Kind of gives you an idea of where the threats are mostly. You can sort it by city to see how much reported terrorist activity is in your town....

https://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/Results.aspx?country=160 

Interesting link.  It would be better if it had a broader search such as province as towns can be as little as 1 meter apart.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It's interesting to look closely at the stats on that list. Davao, for example, shows lots of "hits". Yet most of them are over 10 years ago and more. Also, very few are listed as private property, citizen attacks - mostly they are military, business, government. It tells me that things have settled down a lot in recent years. Of course, statistics are not always complete or true, but at least this is a start.

It also shows that almost everywhere in Mindanao and other provinces have experienced some sort of terrorist-type of activity. So if you want to stay safe, go back to your home country, buy a machine gun (or three), go into the safe room of your home, bolt the door and order delivery service food. But have an armed guard outside to receive the food and also to test it for poison first.(total sarcasm)

I refuse to live that way. I feel we will be as safe as anyone when the new home is done. As many others have already said - and me too - I just try to keep as low a profile as possible, remain vigilant for anything that seems odd or out of place and just be careful. But I did that to some extent in USA too and always when travelling anywhere...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

just try to keep as low a profile as possible, remain vigilant for anything that seems odd or out of place and just be careful.

Always a Good Motto for me and should be for others 

" Never be in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong People" :wink:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

To the OP there is, as other members have pointed out no better way than boots on the ground. 

To expect some paradise with mountains and beautiful beaches near by is pretty much a pipe dream unless you become a Robinson Crusoe. 

My thoughts, narrow down a few places by using the search engine here, rent a place for a few months in each before deciding.

At first remoteness may not seem a problem how ever as time goes by and locals become more curious situations can change.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Always a Good Motto for me and should be for others 

" Never be in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong People" :wink:

I think Jack its known as living below the radar...

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Sometimes it is difficult but yes, Spot on Bruce :smile:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've never been robbed or assaulted wherever I've lived. If a place doesn't feel right, it's a good indication to stay away. I've had a few things stolen from me in the US but never here in the Phills in 16 years. Maybe it's because I have 5 dogs that don't like strangers.:wink:

• Like 2