Flu Shots

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 10/11/2019 at 8:25 AM, Tommy T. said:

Thanks... Did you do this at a doctor clinic or at Watsons? The flu season for Asia and USA starts right about now, doesn't it? That was why I was thinking I should look for that shot now. I am thinking about all the traffic between here and USA and Canada.

Last year I was referred to a doc for this and went to the clinic. There must have been 20 people sitting outside the office waiting their turn... I just won't do that. There has to be a better, faster way.

Maybe just take a shot of whisky and don't worry about it? 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Our good old NHS gives the flu shots out free to at risk individuals, I.e over 65 ,registered disabled 

Never had the flu myself and I dont want it either 

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

That's the best shots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

That's the best shots.

I take those shots when my GF gets cranky. Works all the time!:wink: 

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Our good old NHS gives the flu shots out free to at risk individuals, I.e over 65 ,registered disabled 

Never had the flu myself and I dont want it either 

Never had the flu either. Must be lucky.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Last time I had it - back in 84? - I was soooo sick. I think I had pneumonia too. I self-medicated with JD and over the counter stuff but was really miserable for over two weeks and still a bit sick after three. It really was nasty. Never want it again, especially now that I am older and not as "vital" as before...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

An update about the flu shots...

I just returned from a Watson's here. I checked in several of their branches but this one is the only one I have found, so far, that offers them - it's at SM Ecoland.

They offer three different shots:

There is something called a triple vaccine for flu.

Also a quad vaccine for flu. I asked the pharmacist kid just which one was best and he said quad...good enough for me. And it goes for about P700, good for one year.

They have pneumonia vaccine that's good for 5 years. It goes for P2,295.

They have a doctor coming in on Sunday for six hours to administer these. They also told me they were low on stock (so refreshing to not hear, "Sorry, out of stock"). So I pre-paid for them and just have to show up to get needled. There was no mention of not getting the two at the same time, so I will ask when I go as I forgot to ask today.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I just got my flu shot today.

The big Watson's Pharmacy set up a low, curtained barrier with chairs and table, a helper, nurse and doctor. It was very professional and I was impressed. Not a lot of takers there - I was the only one for a while.

Unfortunately, they did not yet have the pneumonia vaccine, contrary to what I was told by the pharmacy kid a couple days before (this IS the Philippines). But they had a list prepared and entered my phone number so they will call me when I can come in for that shot. That's really okay with me because my main thing was the flu shot.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I had a UK flu shot just before leaving the UK done at the pharmacy in my local Tesco supermarket. What I wasn't aware of before then was that they give a different shot to over 65s compared to unders.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Looking into it further they add a substance to enhance the immune response. Apparently us oldies suffer from a reduced immune response so we need a high dose flu shot. Google is your friend.

• Like 2