Flu Shots

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Looking into it further they add a substance to enhance the immune response. Apparently us oldies suffer from a reduced immune response so we need a high dose flu shot. Google is your friend.

Interesting... there was no mention of anything like that here. The only thing was that it could either be tri or quad vaccine. I haven't looked up online what that might mean. So I just took the quad, figuring that more is better... So far, I am still alive so it didn't kill me...yet...

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe having a gap between the flu and pneumonia shots is generally  recommended by doctor's Dave but when I was back in Oz 3 months ago for a visit, my doc ok'd both at the same time....one in one arm and one in the other:shock_40_anim_gif:

Didn't experience any problems from it.....and it saved me going back.

Both shots were free as the Pneumonia shot is also free in Oz to the over seventies. 

Edited by OzeMike
Correction
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Interesting... there was no mention of anything like that here. The only thing was that it could either be tri or quad vaccine. I haven't looked up online what that might mean. So I just took the quad, figuring that more is better... So far, I am still alive so it didn't kill me...yet...

The shot for oldies in the UK is a tri, the teens to 65 get the quad.

Apparently there are two types of flu, type A and type B. Type B is less common and there are only two strains, It's type A that constantly mutates. The quad shot covers both type Bs plus two best guess type A. The tri shot just covers one of the type B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I just got my flu shot today.

I went to Watsons in Dumaguete this morning and they were giving flu shots yesterday as well. They don`t know when they will do it again so I will keep on checking there.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

Apparently there are two types of flu, type A and type B. Type B is less common and there are only two strains, It's type A that constantly mutates. The quad shot covers both type Bs plus two best guess type A. The tri shot just covers one of the type B.

Did you say that correctly, Gary? It would seem to me that us oldies and young kids would be the ones needing the more comprehensive coverage, hence the quad vs. tri?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Did you say that correctly, Gary? It would seem to me that us oldies and young kids would be the ones needing the more comprehensive coverage, hence the quad vs. tri?

As far google knows what I said is correct, I see your point. It may have something to do with the oldies shot being high strength, something like 4 times as strong. Oldies flu vaccine is called adjuvanted vaccine which promotes more antibodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gary D said:

As far google knows what I said is correct, I see your point. It may have something to do with the oldies shot being high strength, something like 4 times as strong. Oldies flu vaccine is called adjuvanted vaccine which promotes more antibodies.

Hmmm... Well, far be it for me to argue with Kuya Google... But I would think I would prefer broader coverage. Still doesn't quite make sense to me.What would make sense would be stronger AND broader coverage. But there must be a reason they don't. Anyway, it's academic for me for at least a year since I've already been shot... Thanks for the clarification, Gary.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm... Well, far be it for me to argue with Kuya Google... But I would think I would prefer broader coverage. Still doesn't quite make sense to me.What would make sense would be stronger AND broader coverage. But there must be a reason they don't. Anyway, it's academic for me for at least a year since I've already been shot... Thanks for the clarification, Gary.

It would be an interesting exercise asking for the oldies shot, could go several ways. Yes sir, out of stock or blank stare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The flu shot isn't for everyone. I am allergic. My first and only flu shot when I was in US Navy bootcamp resulted in both my hands and feet going numb. Seems that many of the flu vaccines are created using chicken eggs and as a child I was allergic to eggs. However it is is made must concentrate what I was allergic to.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, earthdome said:

The flu shot isn't for everyone. I am allergic. My first and only flu shot when I was in US Navy bootcamp resulted in both my hands and feet going numb. Seems that many of the flu vaccines are created using chicken eggs and as a child I was allergic to eggs. However it is is made must concentrate what I was allergic to.

Early and some flu shots are cultured on egg, many now are not. If you can ensure you are not getting an egg based one then all should be ok.

• Like 3