Flu Shots

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Early and some flu shots are cultured on egg, many now are not. If you can ensure you are not getting an egg based one then all should be ok.

Interesting comment, Gary. Here in Philippines and even back in USA two years ago, I was asked if I had allergies to chicken - it was actually one of the written questions on a paper checklist that I filled out and signed.

• Like 2

KC813
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Interesting comment, Gary. Here in Philippines and even back in USA two years ago, I was asked if I had allergies to chicken - it was actually one of the written questions on a paper checklist that I filled out and signed.

Got my flu shot in the US today - it still asks the egg/chicken allergy question.  I checked 'no'.  Glad they didn't ask which came first or I would still be sitting there scratching my head!

Was told to get it at least two weeks in advance of the polio booster.

Edited by KC813
clarity, did it work?
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just to update the members here...

Yesterday L and I got our flu shots. Watson's put me on a contact list after I got vaccinated last year. I was pleased to get the heads up message. We each got the "expensive" shot at about P700/each. It was called Tetra IV and supposedly offered the greatest protection. Seems well worth it to me if it offers even a chance at reducing infection risk. As usual, no side effects other than a slightly sore arm for a while.

Tomorrow we go for pneumonia vaccinations. Last year I got one that was touted to be good for five years. This year they offer one that is supposedly good for lifetime. It is a bit pricier at P5,000/each. So we will do it anyway. Same reasoning for me - if it can help prevent disease or reduce symptoms, I am all for it. I never want to get flu again and definitely don't want pneumonia either... 

A neighbor has been offering vaccines.  A doctor will come to the house to do it.  p1700 for the flu and p3200 for pneumonia.

The last flu shot we got was over 6 years ago, at Mercury.  p600.  For that, they scheduled a day and had a nurse or doctor there to do the injection.  Who does the injection at Watsons?

The problem for us could be getting the kids into Watson's.  It is in the mall and they don't allow kids in the mall.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

A neighbor has been offering vaccines.  A doctor will come to the house to do it.  p1700 for the flu and p3200 for pneumonia.

The last flu shot we got was over 6 years ago, at Mercury.  p600.  For that, they scheduled a day and had a nurse or doctor there to do the injection.  Who does the injection at Watsons?

The problem for us could be getting the kids into Watson's.  It is in the mall and they don't allow kids in the mall.

Interesting... your flu shot is pricey - almost three times the cost - compared to Watsons, yet the pneumonia is cheaper. I think I would ask the questions of what version of flu shot are they offering and also the pneumonia. Like I said, in October last year, the latter was touted to be good for five years. I forget what the fee was, but I think it was near P5,000.

Watson's is very organized with curtained off area outside the store at the mall. Definitely a nurse administers the injections. And it seems to be only one of the numerous Watson's that is doing this. There are at least four major malls here in Davao and only the one seems to do vaccinations. I also want to ask about polio booster for L.

Last year I asked my derma doc about vaccinations and she said to see a doctor in the hospital. I went there and maybe 20 people were sitting outside waiting for whatever service they required. I did not stay or ask. I don't do well with waiting...

Edited by Tommy T.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Interesting... your flu shot is pricey - almost three times the cost - compared to Watsons, yet the pneumonia is cheaper. I think I would ask the questions of what version of flu shot are they offering and also the pneumonia. Like I said, in October last year, the latter was touted to be good for five years. I forget what the fee was, but I think it was near P5,000.

Watson's is very organized with curtained off area outside the store at the mall. Definitely a nurse administers the injections. And it seems to be only one of the numerous Watson's that is doing this. There are at least four major malls here in Davao and only the one seems to do vaccinations. I also want to ask about polio booster for L.

Last year I asked my derma doc about vaccinations and she said to see a doctor in the hospital. I went there and maybe 20 people were sitting outside waiting for whatever service they required. I did not stay or ask. I don't do well with waiting...

They just said it was the 2020 flu shot.  I didn't ask the name.

I just checked my records.  Pharmacies are the way to go if you can find it.  Here is what I paid for flu shots.

Sep 2015 at Mercury - p450

Sep 2017 at pediatrician - p1500

Oct 18 at pediatrician - p1000

Nov 19 at pediatrician - p1500

Our friends had their pedia come to the house last week and he charged p2000.

For the pneumonia, I looked into that and it is recommended for kids under 2 or adults over 65.  Kids are a series of 4 shots and seniors is one that is supposed to be for life.  My kids had theirs.  Not sure if they had all 4.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

seniors is one that is supposed to be for life

To be more specific.  Canada recommends and pay for the one (public health - gotta love it) and there is another that we have to get on our own if we want to pay the $150 for it.

"One dose of PNEU-P-23 vaccine is recommended for all adults 65 years of age and older, regardless of risk factors or previous pneumococcal vaccination. Individual-level recommendations for PNEU-C-13 vaccine have been discussed in the 2016 NACI recommendations."

Thats the free one.  The other one is

"PNEU-C-13 vaccine . . . there is clinical trial evidence for PNEU-C-13 vaccine efficacy in older adults for preventing IPD and CAP"

I was told by my Pharmacist that they have to be taken at separate times, months apart.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Tomorrow we go for pneumonia vaccinations. Last year I got one that was touted to be good for five years. 

I'll ask - if last year's was good for 5 years why get another this year, Tom?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2020 at 2:54 PM, hk blues said:

I'll ask - if last year's was good for 5 years why get another this year, Tom?

That was a good question, HK. Thanks for shaking my brain-box a bit!:cheersty: So I checked with my friend Kuya G before heading to Watsons with L for the shot.

I will summarize what I learned. Anyone can verify by finding the CDC website - easy to get there...https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/index.html

What Dave posted above seems at least partially correct, but here are the facts as I understand them:

First, here's the overview at CDC quoted directly:

>Pneumococcal Vaccination

Pronounced (noo-muh-KOK-uhl)

Vaccines help prevent pneumococcal disease, which is any type of illness caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria. There are two kinds of pneumococcal vaccines available in the United States:

Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine or PCV13

Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine or PPSV23

CDC recommends PCV13 for all children younger than 2 years old and people 2 years or older with certain medical conditions. Adults 65 years or older also can discuss and decide, with their clinician, to get PCV13.

CDC recommends PPSV23 for all adults 65 years or older, people 2 through 64 years old with certain medical conditions, and adults 19 through 64 years old who smoke cigarettes.

Talk with your or your child’s clinician if you have questions about pneumococcal vaccines.<

The recommendation is that under 2 year olds should start getting the  PCV13. It is  usually administered to kids in four doses, each some time apart. This vaccine covers 13 common bacterial causes of pneumonia. This vaccine can also be administered to those with various health issues like heart disease, smoking, diabetes and some others. This happens to be the vaccine currently being administered here in the Philippines and specifically at Watsons. The CDC brief further states that this vaccine may be used for those 65 years old and up, but should be done after consultation with their doctors.

A type of pneumococcal vaccine called PCV13  can be taken at virtually any age, but young children is the target group. Most people need only one dose of PPSV23. A second dose of PPSV23, , are recommended for certain high-risk groups.  If you already have been vaccinated with the PCV13, you can still be vaccinated further with the PPSV23 type. Your health care provider can give you more information.

People 65 years or older should get a dose of PPSV23 even if they have already gotten one dose of the vaccine before they turned 65.

I re-read my vaccination record yesterday and saw that, last year, I received the PPSV23. This year they are giving the PCV13. According to CDC, a person can get both vaccines, but the first one should be the PCV13 followed by the PPSV23 one year or more later. Also, CDC states that one shot of the PPSV23 "normally" offers sufficient coverage, i.e. lifetime immunity for those over 65 years old. If I decide to get that second shot, it should be more than one year after the first one...

So I learned a lot online. I went with L to Watsons for the shot and decided I would not get it since I just got my first one back in October last year. But I insisted that she get it to obtain at least limited immunity (13 vs 23 disease causes). The screening agent was, indeed, a doctor and I had a good conversation with her. She admitted, eventually, that she was not totally up on these vaccines. Hmmm. I related what I learned online and she asked my sources (I checked several to confirm the same recommendations and knowledge). She was very nice and informed me that here in the Philippines, they follow CDC guidelines... oh really? (To myself). I will be more careful in future to research a bit before plunging in. 

So, the bottom line as I get it is that:

1. The PCV13 appears to be designed mainly for young children and compromised adults. And it requires more than one shot for any age group to work properly.

2. The PPSV23 is more comprehensive, a different formulation and designed for adults and especially old farts...

3. If one has already had the PCV13 shot, then they can have the PPSV23 shot after more than one year later.

4. If one has already had the PPSV23 shot (like me last October), they can get a second one after at least one year.

I think I paraphrased that fairly accurately, but I am sure I will be busted if I didn't:smile:

I will probably consider another PPSV23 next year, if it is offered?

Oh... one last point. The shot last year made my arm very sore for several days. L was complaining within 15 minutes that her arm was very sore already and she felt very fatigued - both common side effects for some people... We will monitor for allergic responses to be sure.

And one final add-on... I am pushing L to get a polio booster since she was only vaccinated when young. Again, according to CDC and the U of Washington Tropical Medical Center, adults need one booster to complete their polio protection. And we read that polio is starting to make a bit of a comeback here...ugh...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines, what would be the optimal month to get the annual flu shot?

In my records, we had them later in the year, like Sep / Oct / Nov.  I remember part of this, not sure which year(s), was due to the kid's pediatrician telling us the new shot was not available yet.