Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila (October 9, 2019)

TimL
Posted
Posted

Are you in Cebu Marvin or elsewhere in the Visayas?

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We currently live on Panay

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TimL said:

It was the link in my original post. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/polio-philippines

Okay... I see that in the article... very interesting. I don't think the local authorities are even aware of that yet, but it is good to know the possibilities. Thanks for sharing that, Tim!

I was just thinking... Now this raises the question: Does that mean anyone residing in the Philippines must have that booster in that time frame, or just foreigners? You think about it and it is most likely Filipinos who are at risk due to the lack of vaccinations - if I understood what I read in that article correctly about the vaccine transmitted infections? Then, technically, anyone residing here more than 4 weeks should get a booster... I can't imagine that ever happening...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

TimL
Posted
Posted

I’m flying out in December. The last thing I need is to get jammed up and not allowed to leave. Or maybe even denied when I come back in January cause I don’t have proof of an adult booster. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TimL said:

I’m flying out in December. The last thing I need is to get jammed up and not allowed to leave. Or maybe even denied when I come back in January cause I don’t have proof of an adult booster. 

My suggestion is to not ask. However, may I ask what sort of visa you have here, Tim? In other words, do you need to get the security clearance prior to departure?

I am sure others in the forum will have better advice for you. I just can't imagine the Philippine BI or other agencies firing up a program for polio vaccinations for travelers in just a month or two... can you?

Edited by Tommy T.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... I see that in the article... very interesting. I don't think the local authorities are even aware of that yet, but it is good to know the possibilities. Thanks for sharing that, Tim!

I was just thinking... Now this raises the question: Does that mean anyone residing in the Philippines must have that booster in that time frame, or just foreigners? You think about it and it is most likely Filipinos who are at risk due to the lack of vaccinations - if I understood what I read in that article correctly about the vaccine transmitted infections? Then, technically, anyone residing here more than 4 weeks should get a booster... I can't imagine that ever happening...

Even so, how would they ever know what immunizations one had or didn't have.  Its not like we walk around with a shot record in our pockets (yet). 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

TimL
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

My suggestion is to not ask. However, may I ask what sort of visa you have here, Tim? In other words, do you need to get the security clearance prior to departure?

I am sure others in the forum will have better advice for you. I just can't imagine the Philippine BI or other agencies firing up a program for polio vaccinations for travelers in just a month or two... can you?

I’m on a tourist visa Tommy. I’ve been here for over a year so I have to get an ECC before I head out. Honestly no, I can’t see anything getting ramped up that quickly but, who knows. 

• Like 1

TimL
Posted
Posted

Can always use this as a perpetual visa I guess. Sir, you need booster before you can leave. I’m not getting one. Okay Sir, then you can’t leave. Okay, then I won’t.  :hystery:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Even so, how would they ever know what immunizations one had or didn't have.  Its not like we walk around with a shot record in our pockets (yet). 

There is a document which I have carried near my passport for almost 20 years. It is called "International Certificate of Vaccination" and is approved by the World Health Organization.  It has been recognized anywhere I have traveled in many third world countries and first and second world countries too. I guess it's too late for you now, but it is almost like a "Get out of jail free" card... 

I got it from that tropical medical center back in '99. It's a form PHS-731 from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and is still accepted wherever I go... It has the record of every vaccination I have received since when I got it.

I needed to get it when I served on a NOAA research ship - I needed more exotic vaccinations like yellow fever, typhoid, hep a, hep b in order to be permitted to travel to countries in Central America...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, TimL said:

I’m on a tourist visa Tommy. I’ve been here for over a year so I have to get an ECC before I head out. Honestly no, I can’t see anything getting ramped up that quickly but, who knows. 

BI and others would need to notify everyone in advance and you know how long things take around here... I don't think it will happen any time soon.

• Like 1