Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila (October 9, 2019)

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I would have thought it would be the other end that needed to see proof of inoculation like coming from a yellow fever high risk area.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I would have thought it would be the other end that needed to see proof of inoculation like coming from a yellow fever high risk area.

Exactly!

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

EXACTLY*

I think the 'pulse' here is kind of what I was thinking too; namely, to get care of this type done in Manila or international location, or at least in a local situation that has proven itself to you.  The thing I run into in PH frequently as I've alluded to elsewhere is, professionals who ought to have the right training, tools, or experience, but just don't.  Or even worse, little communication or cultural hiccups that result in me getting the wrong information.  This just happened yesterday with my electrician; God help me if it happened with my physician!  

That said, we have only just started asking around for Dr. recommendations.  I'm just at the age where the annual prostate checks are recommended (51 years young), wife is only just getting to the age where the annual girlie checks are recommended.  We have found a very professional and qualified Dental Dr., and have a good recommendation from her on a physician.  So we'll see.  

*If this vaccine booster thing is a real requirement for travel, I will need to figure it out pronto.  

The latest word on prostate cancer is that it's generally very slow-growing and the treatment is sometimes worse than the disease. Sorry I don't have time to look up citations. I'll be relying on the Prostate Specific Antibodies blood test rather than Finger In the Ass, and even with elevated PSA level I'll be wary of treatment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Something to consider, if you are ex-military.  I checked my shot records and found that in boot camp I did receive the adult polio booster (1988). So I am covered.  Any of you vets might also have had it already.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The latest word on prostate cancer is that it's generally very slow-growing and the treatment is sometimes worse than the disease. Sorry I don't have time to look up citations. I'll be relying on the Prostate Specific Antibodies blood test rather than Finger In the Ass, and even with elevated PSA level I'll be wary of treatment.

PSA is not a good indicator, finger up the bum is far more accurate. 

• Like 1

TimL
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Something to consider, if you are ex-military.  I checked my shot records and found that in boot camp I did receive the adult polio booster (1988). So I am covered.  Any of you vets might also have had it already.  :tiphat:

Hmmm.. I went into the US Army back in 1981. Don’t recall what vaccinations I got but, definitely got some. I don’t have the records anymore. 
Wondering if there’s any way to get those records.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, TimL said:

Hmmm.. I went into the US Army back in 1981. Don’t recall what vaccinations I got but, definitely got some. I don’t have the records anymore. 
Wondering if there’s any way to get those records.

You can request them - probably take a long time to get them.  I got a copy when I separated and kept them in the safe.   Hard copy of my shots & all medical records, microfiche of service record. 

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gary D said:

PSA is not a good indicator, finger up the bum is far more accurate. 

Not according to this.

" DRE (digital rectal exam) is less effective than the PSA blood test in finding prostate cancer, but it can sometimes find cancers in men with normal PSA levels. For this reason, it may be included as a part of prostate cancer screening."

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

My GP told me that digital rectal exams were no more likely to detect prostrate cancer than a PSE test (and that neither was close to being 100% reliable anyway).  So I only get PSE tested.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

My GP told me that digital rectal exams were no more likely to detect prostrate cancer than a PSE test (and that neither was close to being 100% reliable anyway).  So I only get PSE tested.

An enlarge prostate is not necessarily cancerous. A large percentage of men of a certain age have enlarged prostates and a PSA is not going to indicate that.