Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila (October 9, 2019)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

finger up the bum is far more accurate. 

My father had an annual test (Canada - circa 1970s and 80s) with the finger in the bum for decades.  When he was found to have prostate cancer it had progressed to the point where it was in his lymph nodes. His new doctor said it had probably been growing for 10 years. He died 3 years later.  Before he died he asked his old doctor how he could have stuck his finger up his ass for 10 years without noticing he had prostate cancer.  The doctor said:  "We're not Gods".  So I strongly disagree with your statement and I prefer a PSA test.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Tommy T. said:

Okay... I see that in the article... very interesting. I don't think the local authorities are even aware of that yet, but it is good to know the possibilities. Thanks for sharing that, Tim!

I was just thinking... Now this raises the question: Does that mean anyone residing in the Philippines must have that booster in that time frame, or just foreigners? You think about it and it is most likely Filipinos who are at risk due to the lack of vaccinations - if I understood what I read in that article correctly about the vaccine transmitted infections? Then, technically, anyone residing here more than 4 weeks should get a booster... I can't imagine that ever happening...

I think this message from Philippine Department of Health clears up the confusion.  The original message should have said "entering" not "leaving" the Philippines.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/10/12/19/doh-tells-travelers-entering-ph-to-be-vaccinated-amid-polio-outbreak

MANILA - The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday advised travelers entering the Philippines to be vaccinated in wake of re-emergence of polio in the country.

"Foreign nationals and returning Filipinos of all ages who are intending to stay in the Philippines for 4 weeks and more, are encouraged to receive a single dose of inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) not later than 4 weeks before their scheduled travel to the Philippines. Given that the traveler has not received polio vaccination in the last 12 months," the DOH said in a statement.

"Travelers undertaking urgent travel within 4 weeks are recommended to receive a single dose of IPV at least by the time of departure as this will still provide benefits, particularly for frequent travelers," it added.

DOH also encouraged travelers leaving the Philippines to check immunization requirements of countries they are going to, and if required, receive a dose of IPV before departure and get a certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine to serve as proof of their vaccination.

Last Sept. 19, DOH declared a polio outbreak in the Philippines after 2 cases of the virus were confirmed in the country.

• Thanks 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Given that the traveler has not received polio vaccination in the last 12 months," the DOH said in a statement.

This shows an unfortunate lack of understanding on the part of the DOH.  The adult booster is a lifetime protection - and the last 12 months is irrelevant. 

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)

As far as the adult booster for polio, I'm planning on getting one over here in the States very soon, since I'll be traveling to the Phils in 2020. I'll keep records of getting the shot, just in case I need to show it as proof.

For prostate cancer screening, my doctor uses the PSA test instead of the finger test.

Edited by Jack D

TimL
Posted
Posted

Just saw a couple of things that are worth reading.

022BD8F6-A61B-4D06-AFFA-2553ADDD3B60.jpeg

ED2DC500-6F3D-4FA8-A520-DCAA7D701595.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Will crikey.  Can I show them the shot mark on my shoulder?  Or maybe thats for smallpox, can't remember.

That letter TimL circled seems like it could be very easy to get tripped up in the airport, boys.

• Haha 1

TimL
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Will crikey.  Can I show them the shot mark on my shoulder?  Or maybe thats for smallpox, can't remember.

That letter TimL circled seems like it could be very easy to get tripped up in the airport, boys.

That’s what I was thinking as well. I know that I’ve had ll of my childhood immunizations and also any boosters as required by the Army in 1981. Pretty sure polio was on that list as it seems that that’s been a mandatory vaccine for DOD for a long, long time. Proof on the other hand, is going to be an issue for me to show.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, TimL said:

Proof on the other hand, is going to be an issue for me to show.

I think I had my shot in the buttocks.  If I bend over and hang a moon for them will that be showing proof?

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I got my Rabies vaccination in Aussie my Doctor gave me this card which is a vaccine record (in WHO recognized format).

I guess I can get an adult Polio booster later and have that added.  I have had other vaccinations but I don't have a record of them.

Vaccine Card 2.jpg

Vaccine Card 1.jpg

Edited by GeoffH

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I had my shot in the buttocks.  If I bend over and hang a moon for them will that be showing proof?

Wrong immunization. Polio is an oral med.

• Like 2