Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Curious minds want to know

• Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Never looked into it. Is there any actual benefit?  I doubt it :)

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I've looked into it.  I'd have to renounce my U.S. citizenship.  Not really worth it to me right now so not for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Perhaps you could find a Filipino citizen willing to swap with you? :Happy:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Balisidar said:

I've looked into it.  I'd have to renounce my U.S. citizenship.  Not really worth it to me right now so not for me.

This is one of those "yes, but not really" scenarios.  Even when you renounce U.S. citizenship while obtaining Philippine citizenship, you actually retain your U.S. citizenship.   Requirements for renouncing U.S. citizenship are  very specific.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Renunciation-US-Nationality-Abroad.html

<snip>

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
2. in a foreign country  at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate; and
3. sign an oath of renunciation

<end snip>

I do not know of anyone who has obtained Philippine citizenship.  After obtaining Philippine citizenship you would attain the rights of a native born Philippine citizen.  This would include the right to vote, buy land, own firearms, etc.  You could NOT run for or hold an elected public office.   Most expats, myself included, consider it a lot of pain for very little gain.  The requirements are as follows.

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/comacts/ca_473_1939.html

<snip>

Section 2. Qualifications. – Subject to section four of this Act, any person having the following qualifications may become a citizen of the Philippines by naturalization:

First. He must be not less than twenty-one years of age on the day of the hearing of the petition;

Second. He must have resided in the Philippines for a continuous period of not less than ten years;

Third. He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living.

Fourth. He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation;

Fifth. He must be able to speak and write English or Spanish and any one of the principal Philippine languages; and

Sixth. He must have enrolled his minor children of school age, in any of the public schools or private schools recognized by the Office of Private Education1 of the Philippines, where the Philippine history, government and civics are taught or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the hearing of his petition for naturalization as Philippine citizen.

Section 3. Special qualifications. The ten years of continuous residence required under the second condition of the last preceding section shall be understood as reduced to five years for any petitioner having any of the following qualifications:

Having honorably held office under the Government of the Philippines or under that of any of the provinces, cities, municipalities, or political subdivisions thereof;

Having established a new industry or introduced a useful invention in the Philippines;

Being married to a Filipino woman;

Having been engaged as a teacher in the Philippines in a public or recognized private school not established for the exclusive instruction of children of persons of a particular nationality or race, in any of the branches of education or industry for a period of not less than two years;

Having been born in the Philippines.

<end snip>

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Is there any actual benefit?

YOU can work here,,,,,,,,,,,,(notice I said YOU, I have no intention to work) lololol

12 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Curious minds want to know

Believe it or not the requirements are even stricter than in the States. Last time I checked it was 10 year residency and demonstrate fluency in Tagolog or one of the recognizable dialects.

Besides, IMHO there are few benefits...……….I could own land (that's what I have a wife for lol) I could vote (snicker), I wouldn't need an exit clearance when traveling.

About the only tangible benefit I can see would being able to qualify for a Senior citizen discount card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Being married to a Filipino woman;

5 years is pretty quick.  At least one of you must have applied for citizenship by now...  I can't really see the down side if you're planning to stay here permanently.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

5 years is pretty quick.  At least one of you must have applied for citizenship by now...  I can't really see the down side if you're planning to stay here permanently.

Many, perhaps most, expats would say they see very little upside.   And don't forget the language requirement.  Becoming fluent in a new language can be a challenge for some of us older folks.  Just my opinions of course.  If you want to become a dual citizen, I think you should go for it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I can't really see the down side

I am curious as what you see as an upside? Like I said except for qualifying for a senior discount I don't see one, but I am open minded and willing to listen :thumbsup:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Not that I ever would renounce my US citizenship, but if a person would, do they also loose their SS benefits?  If you renounce and then reacquire US citizenship would you not have to apply and be issued a new SS number at that time?  If that would be the case then most likely I think you would loose.

• Hmm thinking 1