Have any of you become citizens of PH?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Dave, that is the old pledge.  The new one superseded the one you quote. 

OK.  It threw me when it said

"Revised Naturalization Law"

and mentioned

THE ALIEN SOCIAL INTEGRATION ACT OF 1995

So I am playing catch-up it seems.  Where is the link to the law more recent than 1995?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OK.  It threw me when it said

"Revised Naturalization Law"

and mentioned

THE ALIEN SOCIAL INTEGRATION ACT OF 1995

So I am playing catch-up it seems.  Where is the link to the law more recent than 1995?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(Philippines)

The link will show both the older oath (shown first) and the newer version .

I, (name), solemnly swear that I renounce absolutely and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, and particularly to the (country of citizenship), of which at this time I am a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Philippines and that I will obey the laws, legal orders and decrees promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Commonwealth of the Philippines; and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the United States of America in the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I impose this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God.[1]

I, (name), solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines; and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God.[2]

That being said I am not able to find anything that says the new oath is the one used to naturalize a foreigner who is seeking Philippine citizenship.  But, the original can't possibly be used because it states "the absolute authority of the United States of America in the Philippines" and the reference to "Commonwealth of the Philippines".  Neither is no longer true and has not been for quite some time.  So either there is a third oath somewhere that I have not been able to find, or the revised oath is used to both reacquire or to gain Philippine citizenship.  

Interesting how the whole dual citizenship thing came about in the Philippines.

Commonwealth Act 63 (1936) - A Philippine citizen will lose his/her citizenship if they become naturalized citizens of a foreign country.  The only way to get citizenship back is via naturalization.  Commonwealth Act 473 lists those requirements which include the original oath where you renounce your existing citizenship.  So the Philippines at this point in time does not recognize dual citizenship even for natural born Pinoys.

Zoom ahead to 2005.  Republic Act 9225 makes dual citizenship legal by allowing former Philippine citizens to regain the citizenship by taking the new "oath of allegiance".  This oath does not require the oath taker to renounce citizenship in another country.  So it is RA 9225 which codified dual citizenship in the Philippines.

I spent several hours looking for a current oath that would be specific to foreigners naturalizing as opposed to Pinoys who are reacquiring and I could not find anything.   

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes I know, I was answering HK who was commenting about my wife re-acquiring her filipino citizenship.

No I wasn't.

I was pointing out that 2 different posters had said conflicting things within a few posts of each other.   

Edited by hk blues
  • I'm Confused 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

No I wasn't.

I was pointing out that 2 different posters had said conflicting things within a few posts of each other.   

Which is why you should not go to a forum for legal answers.  Go to the immigration sites of the countries in question.  These discussions can be useful, but not taken as fact.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Which is why you should not go to a forum for legal answers.  Go to the immigration sites of the countries in question.  These discussions can be useful, but not taken as fact.  :tiphat:

It's a discussion forum and all information provided is in good faith and taken in exactly that way by me - thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1