No stickers again and no Alien registration

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So if you were a tourist then you need an outbound ticket regardless as that is the law. 

Of course you are right, JGF.

I guess I was a bit puzzled since last two trips to USA (last one two years ago) I was only asked at the automated passport control when I would return to USA. I always just gave a date that was within six months of my outgoing flight date and never had a problem. Nobody at PAL asked any questions. The first and only time I was questioned was by the airline rep at the counter when I was checking in for my return flight at Taipei...

So I went over and sat down and bought a one way ticket somewhere and showed the receipt on my cell phone and then all was well. I cancelled that flight as soon as I returned to Manila, but got charged a cancellation fee. Not a big deal - they are only doing their job - but a bit irritating.

A few years ago I visited BI and asked them for a letter to permit me to fly to Philippines from abroad and not need a return trip ticket. They were puzzled too, but created that letter. It stated simply that I did not need an outgoing passage ticket since I was American and could stay here on tourist visa. They told me, to my face (the local BI director) that I did not need an ongoing ticket - as far as BI was concerned - since I was American and could continue to get tourist visas virtually forever... So it was an airline issue, not a BI issue.

But that was two+ years ago... That was just my experience...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So it was an airline issue, not a BI issue

Well actually it's both their issues. Airlines can be fined or made to return the passenger and it's an immigration law that says they must ensure passengers have an onward ticket.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well actually it's both their issues. Airlines can be fined or made to return the passenger and it's an immigration law that says they must ensure passengers have an onward ticket.

I see... thanks. I had actually sailed into the country on the yacht and that made things a bit different perhaps? I have a stamp in my passport still that shows the importation of the yacht. My onward "ticket" was supposedly the yacht. But then I sold it last year...  Maybe that is the root of my confusion?

However, like I mentioned in my previous post... During the last visit after the yacht was sold and I was departing the USA, there are just automated passport checkers at the airport. After checking out, I went to the airline counter to check my bag and obtain my ticket. There was never a question or issue regarding ongoing travel. That only happened in Taipei (so far). It is just a curious situation...

And yeah... I understand about the immigration law and the airlines. Apparently they can be forced to send someone not in compliance back home on their nickle - and that makes perfect sense.

I think I should have explained further that the girl at PAL was nice to me and seemed like she would have permitted me to board if my ARC was up to date and had a longer than one month tourist visa stay. As it was, I didn't have that and that is why she denied my boarding. That was the point I failed to make in my earlier comments here...sorry...

Edited by Tommy T.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, TimL said:

My ACR expires today and I am heading out of the Country for a while in early December. Hopefully, I don’t have any issues with getting ECC w/o a valid ACR. 

Grease my friend. It's all that you need.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

As it was, I didn't have that and that is why she denied my boarding.

Airasia have a folder with each country's rules so I would say all airlines do.When I was checking in with airasia in Taiwan I had to explain to them about my onward ticket does not have to be dated within the 30 days. Took a supervisor to sort it out.

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

If you are on a tourist visa does not you ACR card not automatically expire along with you tourist visa when you leave the country.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

If you are on a tourist visa does not you ACR card not automatically expire along with you tourist visa when you leave the country.

Emphatically, No it does not.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Emphatically, No it does not.

Are you sure?  Does that mean my old ARC valid until October is still good?  I noticed on my BI receipt a fee of P250 for re issue of ARC. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you sure?  Does that mean my old ARC valid until October is still good?  I noticed on my BI receipt a fee of P250 for re issue of ARC. 

You leave the country and your visa expires, you re-enter as a new tourist on 30 days, surely it all starts again from the beginning. If not they are missing a trick.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you sure? 

Positive.  Done it many times