Mindanao earthquake

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi guy's 

Going by the news this was bigger than usual ,has anyone been effected by it  , the news shows a fire at gmall gensan and damage to buildings around digos 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Short news article with multiple video clips.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7579601/Powerful-6-4-magnitude-earthquake-rocks-Philippines.html

Terrified worshippers were sent running for cover during a church service when a deadly 6.4-magnitude earthquake rattled the Philippines' second biggest island today. 

Dramatic footage shows a congregation of hundreds singing in Kidapawan City on Mindanao - before they start screaming as the building shakes. 

The powerful quake struck about 40 miles north of General Santos City, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) reported, sparking panic in shops and homes across the region.

In the town of Datu Paglas, a child was crushed to death when a house collapsed while four residents of nearby Tulunan town were injured when at least two other houses fell down.

Hundreds of people were sent rushing out of a shopping mall and patients were forced to flee a hospital as the tremors struck. An elderly man was injured after being struck by a falling object during the early evening quake.  

Further footage showed fire engulfing the ground floor and third floor of the Gaisano mall in the Gensan district. 
Worshippers screamed in terror and ran for cover as 6.4-magnitude earthquake shakes their church in Kidapawan City today 
A shopping mall was left damaged and hundreds of people evacuated the building in Mindanao, Philippines, today
A video emerged on social media showing the congregation at the church take shelter as the building began to shake 

Chief Philippine government seismologist Renato Solidum advised residents to check their homes for possible damage but said there was no risk of a tsunami because it occurred inland, and there were no immediate reports of serious damage.

Solidum, who is head of the Philippines seismic agency, told ANC news channel there was a chance of aftershocks after the quake, considered strong and capable of causing severe damage.

He added: 'Aftershocks can happen. Some can be felt most likely in low intensities. But we cannot remove the possibility of similar intensities that can be felt in the epicentral area.'

In a video posted on social media, patients at Kidapawan Doctors Hospital in Mindanao were seen being taken outside after the tremor. 

Another clip showed a church Kidapawan City start to shake from the intensity of the quake, leaving the congregation screaming in terror. 

Hundreds of people fled a hotel in Davao City after the quake struck.  

It is not yet know how many people have been injured in the disaster or the extent of damage. 

Davao City, the hometown of President Rodrigo Duterte, is among the largest and most populous cities in the country. 

No destructive Pacific-wide tsunami was expected after the earthquake, initially measured at 6.7, the Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reported. 

• Like 3

BC57
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guy's 

Going by the news this was bigger than usual ,has anyone been effected by it  , the news shows a fire at gmall gensan and damage to buildings around digos 

I live in Koronadal which is in the southern part of Mindanao and it shook the hell out of our house, but we didn't have any damage. The quake came out of nowhere and shook hard from start to finish. Usually you can feel a minor rumble then it gets stronger but this one didn't waste anytime. We lost power for about an hour just after the first quake stopped. There was a second minor quake which is normal after the first one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It was the strongest I have yet ever experienced. Shook hard here in Davao like BC says, pretty much from start to finish. I don't remember now, but I think it lasted about one minute.

It almost knocked the water bottle off its stand and the water was sloshing around inside. A few existing cracks seem a bit larger in the walls but no other damage noted.

People stepped out of homes and there were a few short power outages. Somebody yelled tsunami which caused a local panic with cars and people heading for higher ground in our neighbourhood. There wasn't one and no warning was issued. People were pushing and shoving and yelling some of the time.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I echo everything Tommy T. said. I've never sought shelter from a quake before but that one sent me under the kitchen table.

I use and recommend the Earthquake Alert! app for Android and its companion Earthquake Alerter Add-On. Together, they can be set to tell you about only certain quakes. They give  a lot of information, including a Google Map of quake locations. The only drawback is that it waits for the US Geological Service's report which can take about 30 minutes.

If anyone knows of a real-time reporter, let me know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BC57
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

It was the strongest I have yet ever experienced. Shook hard here in Davao like BC says, pretty much from start to finish. I don't remember now, but I think it lasted about one minute.

It almost knocked the water bottle off its stand and the water was sloshing around inside. A few existing cracks seem a bit larger in the walls but no other damage noted.

People stepped out of homes and there were a few short power outages. Somebody yelled tsunami which caused a local panic with cars and people heading for higher ground in our neighbourhood. There wasn't one and no warning was issued. People were pushing and shoving and yelling some of the time.

Filipinos definitely panic when there is a earthquake, even minor ones. I lived is Southern California my whole life so it's not a big deal for me at all. My wife ran so fast out the front door she almost ran right over her mom. Of course when I told her this she was in complete denial, lol. I wish I had a video of her reaction to the quake. She stayed outside for about an hour until the power came back on.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, BC57 said:

Filipinos definitely panic when there is a earthquake, even minor ones. I lived is Southern California my whole life so it's not a big deal for me at all. My wife ran so fast out the front door she almost ran right over her mom. Of course when I told her this she was in complete denial, lol. I wish I had a video of her reaction to the quake. She stayed outside for about an hour until the power came back on.

Given the state of some of the buildings here, I'm not surprised they panic.  

The last time we had a minor one in my area (3.5 or so)  everyone was outside in the street whilst I continued to finish my lesson which only had a minute or so to go!  It was my first experience of a quake and was a little uncomfortable with the sensation.  

I'd hate to experience a serious one, I'll admit!  

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Gf tells me that gensan and mati have been the worst hit 

Shes part of some disaster relief team , no call outs so far, she did echo tommy t and jd davao on the shaking part 

• Like 1