Mindanao earthquake

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The first quake this weekend was 6.9 and then revised to 6.8...  the second was 5.something...  5.9..?  I forget now...

All of the quakes over the last few months have been shallow and inland...  Just 2 plates mildly bumping against each other, thus no need to worry about tsunamis...  Which is good as my fiancee lives beside the big plywood factory in Toril...  Right by the water..!  (I'm just over a mile from her and inland...  Just across the MacArthur Hwy...). 

It's been interesting but not all that bad...  Aftershocks are continuous and probably will be for a few days...

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The condo people cheered me up today, they forgot to tell me that the warranty on the building has run out at the end of the month

Between taxes ,charges and now insurance ,I've been hit for 160,000 peso in Bill's , I could save on the insurance at 90,000 ,but that would be insane after all these earthquakes 

I've had a really shit day today

The machinery that I hired for a job ,did not turn up and I got a late email cancelling the order ,I wasted 3 hours

The condo problem

And now my fecking van has broken down 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Better days are surely ahead, buddy. Remember that tried-and-true saying: When it rains, we drink! 

• Haha 4

gery0x
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JDDavao said:

If you're a praying person, say a few words for the people close to the epicenter who surely must be under the tremendous stress of feeling every aftershock.

We've got some relatives who live close to the epicenter, one of the kuyas of them sent me horrible photos of cracks in roads, collapsed buildings, and so on. :ohmy:

In Davao the quake was strongly felt, much worse than any of the others in the past 1-3 months.

Also the aftershocks won't let me sleep peacefully at all. This is something I cannot get used to...

Good thing is that the quakes happen inland, so no tsunami danger.

But still, it's a f***ed up feeling each and every time :sad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The condo people cheered me up today, they forgot to tell me that the warranty on the building has run out at the end of the month

Between taxes ,charges and now insurance ,I've been hit for 160,000 peso in Bill's , I could save on the insurance at 90,000 ,but that would be insane after all these earthquakes 

The mon all part and parcel of living here or investing here. As they say roll with the punchesachinery that I hired for a job ,did not turn up and I got a late email cancelling the order ,I wasted 3 hours

The condo problem

And now my fecking van has broken down 

Yes Boston all part of living or investing here, as they say roll with the punches. It will get better.

Guess all insurance rates will rocket in Davao  now, often wondered if one is insured with a local company what would the battle be to receive a pay out. Difficult at best would imagine.

We recently bought a small condo in Bacolod, have not bothered with insurance, pleased as we pay P1260 a month dues, covers everything including pool and gym maintenance.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, gery0x said:

We've got some relatives who live close to the epicenter, one of the kuyas of them sent me horrible photos of cracks in roads, collapsed buildings, and so on. :ohmy:

I hope they receive the aid they need. And before Christmas!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2019 at 4:31 PM, JDDavao said:

I hope they receive the aid they need. And before Christmas!

Thanks.

Yeah those relatives in particular are fine, their house has no big damages, very lucky!

Yesterday morning it was shaking heavily again with a 5,3 according to PhiVolcs

https://earthquake.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/2019_Earthquake_Information/December/2019_1217_2018_B2F.html

Strong enough to wake me up (in Davao City)

• Like 3