Mindanao earthquake

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Gf tells me that gensan and mati have been the worst hit 

Are you sure about Mati? That's pretty far away from the epicenter. On TV it was like Mike's post says - Tulunan and Kidapawan were hardest hit. Here in Davao it's a lot closer than Mati.

There was also a 5.3(?) near or at Manay later last night or early this morning as sort of a related shock...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Are you sure about Mati? That's pretty far away from the epicenter. On TV it was like Mike's post says - Tulunan and Kidapawan were hardest hit. Here in Davao it's a lot closer than Mati.

There was also a 5.3(?) near or at Manay later last night or early this morning as sort of a related shock...

Thats what she says this morning,  i agree with you on having  seen the report's about the center being closer to kidawapan 

Aparently the water board are doing spot checks this morning 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just experienced 6.6-6.8 (depending on the source) quake here in Davao... A bit frightening. Also having a number of much smaller but noticeable aftershocks.

All is okay with us, but you should have seen the power lines dancing on their poles.

There was also a brownout for about 20 - 25 minutes in our area of Ecoland.

This puppy was just sudden. I was talking with a guy and suddenly noticed I could not stand straight and had to grab something to keep upright. Definitely the strongest I have ever felt...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Stay safe Tommy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Stay safe Tommy!

As soon as I returned home, I packed some valuables in a carry bag - cash, passports, credit cards... Making sure I am wearing decent clothes in case need to clear out. This one really was scary due the suddenness and sharpness of the jolts. It was not a shaker, but repeated jolts. Like the last big one, there was no build up or warm up just those shocks...

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

As soon as I returned home, I packed some valuables in a carry bag - cash, passports, credit cards... Making sure I am wearing decent clothes in case need to clear out. This one really was scary due the suddenness and sharpness of the jolts. It was not a shaker, but repeated jolts. Like the last big one, there was no build up or warm up just those shocks...

Be safe Tommy, and watchout for the aftershocks.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Be safe Tommy, and watchout for the aftershocks.

Count on it!

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Wow, never felt one like you describe.  Run out to the home site, will ya.....

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

Classes are suspended today in Davao. Government offices have been ordered closed, except for emergency service. So far, there's just one building in Davao being shown with noticeable exterior cracks (by GMA News - not sure where the building is).

I was still abed and it woke me up, not an easy thing to do. The temporary helper who's here from down the road was quite frightened and said that all of our pendant lights were swaying and clacking together, adding the noise to her fear.

This is the first quake I've ever seen dramatically revised by USGS. The first notice said it was a 6.8 temblor, 50 miles deep, and centered 6 miles east of Kisante. that would put it slightly northeast of a midway point between Digos and Kidapawan, as the crow flies, and within the Mt. Apo nature zone.

The second notice from USGS revised the quake to 6.6, 10 miles deep, and centered 9 miles from Bual. That puts it a few miles southeast of Kidapawan, i.e., farther from Davao and Digos.

There have been two aftershocks over 4.0 since: one a 5.8 and one a 5.0.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Classes are suspended today in Davao. Government offices have been ordered closed, except for emergency service. So far, there's just one building in Davao being shown with noticeable exterior cracks (by GMA News - not sure where the building is).

I was still abed and it woke me up, not an easy thing to do. The temporary helper who's here from down the road was quite frightened and said that all of our pendant lights were swaying and clacking together, adding the noise to her fear.

This is the first quake I've ever seen dramatically revised by USGS. The first notice said it was a 6.8 temblor, 50 miles deep, and centered 6 miles east of Kisante. that would put it slightly northeast of a midway point between Digos and Kidapawan, as the crow flies, and within the Mt. Apo nature zone.

The second notice from USGS revised the quake to 6.6, 10 miles deep, and centered 9 miles from Bual. That puts it a few miles southeast of Kidapawan, i.e., farther from Davao and Digos.

There have been two aftershocks over 4.0 since: one a 5.8 and one a 5.0.

L tells me all the malls are closed too. I picked her up from her school and traffic was awful - about two hours round trip from Matina to downtown... Most stoplights not working (but that's nothing new). I imagine the cell phone system is jammed as I watched everyone calling each other and talking about the quakes.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1