Mindanao earthquake

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

To the moment, there have been 12 aftershocks greater than 4.0 since the major 6.6 of 0904 hrs. yesterday.

5.0, 5.8, 5.3, 5.2, 4.6, 4.6, 4.8, 4.9, 4.6, 4.8, 4.9, and 4.5 today at 1116.

They were all within a few miles of each other, clustered near the initial 6.6 except for the last which was around 60 miles SE of Glan , out at sea and 62 miles deep.

I'm reading 7 dead and over 100 injured. Authorities fear more deaths of the injured will occur.

• Thanks 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have felt maybe three or four of those... not comforting...  and a small one just now...

L did a bit of research today regarding local earthquakes.

Apparently, back in the '70's, there was an 8.0 earthquake in Cotabato - which is approximately the same source for the recent quakes. It also created a 9 meter high tsunami on the coastal city. It destroyed virtually the entire city. I just now verified this online:

>On August 16, 1976, a devastating earthquake on the Cotabato Trench caused destruction on the island of Mindanao - the southernmost and largest of the Phillipine Islands.

The destructive tsunami that was generated in the Gulf of Moro and in the Celebes Sea killed about 8,000 people in coastal communities in North and South Zamboanga, North and South Lanao, North Cotabato, Maguindanao and Sultan Kudarat (Mindanao), and in the neighboring Sulu Islands.

This was the worst earthquake and tsunami disaster in the history of the Phillilines. Also, the Indonesian Hydrographic Office reported that unusual wave activity affected the islands of Sulawesi (Celebes Island) and Borneo.<

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

If Apo blows? Then I think me, Tommy, and a couple of others become the first ex-pats on the moon.

I have my passports ready for immigration and customs moonwise, JD...

Hmmm... do you suppose we could get free drinks on that ride since it would be international?

Edited by Tommy T.
Adding BS to the comment...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I have my passports ready for immigration and customs moonwise, JD...

Ive been reading up on the various earthquakes as well 

Gf was part of a team that visited disaster relief shelters in luzon last year  , she tells me that there are plans in place for major events

Its part of Philippines life , major disaters , i clearly remember the samar storm

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, bastonjock said:

Ive been reading up on the various earthquakes as well 

Gf was part of a team that visited disaster relief shelters in luzon last year  , she tells me that there are plans in place for major events

Its part of Philippines life , major disaters , i clearly remember the samar storm

Yeah... up to now, recently they have many more problems here than earthquakes... But after reading the forecasts from Philvolcs, the S*** could really hit the fan. So far, our new home construction is doing fine... But an 8+ quake could really make a mess...

I think I will start stocking up on Tanduay and SanMig Light... oh... and water and food too... 

I have experienced 5 hurricanes or cyclones or typhoons... whatever you want to call them. I really am quite tired of storms, quakes and other crap... However, life is still worth all of it... despite the discomfort and hassle....

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Apparently, back in the '70's, there was an 8.0 earthquake in Cotabato - which is approximately the same source for the recent quakes.

I need to read up on this but I'm not sure the Cotobato Trench is the origin of the quakes we've had over the last couple of years. I think there's a more shallow fault that runs through that area but I don't have any info on it. I guess any faults in the area are caused by the Trench so maybe there's no real difference except semantics.

BTW: add one more aftershock: 4.8 near Magsaysay, occuring at 1600.

• Thanks 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I need to read up on this but I'm not sure the Cotobato Trench is the origin of the quakes we've had over the last couple of years. I think there's a more shallow fault that runs through that area but I don't have any info on it. I guess any faults in the area are caused by the Trench so maybe there's no real difference except semantics.

Agreed...

This entire area is geologically active so I guess we are all fair game here. I haven't really done any research about this area. I probably should have done so before building a new home....

I hope your home is doing okay. Our build seems to be okay so far. We need to go pay a visit again soon...

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... up to now, recently they have many more problems here than earthquakes... But after reading the forecasts from Philvolcs, the S*** could really hit the fan. So far, our new home construction is doing fine... But an 8+ quake could really make a mess...

I think I will start stocking up on Tanduay and SanMig Light... oh... and water and food too... 

I have experienced 5 hurricanes or cyclones or typhoons... whatever you want to call them. I really am quite tired of storms, quakes and other crap... However, life is still worth all of it... despite the discomfort and hassle....

Im hoping that my condo at ecoland has not been effected , the jungle hut built in a more traditional way is fine , so if gfs house at catalunan grande , shes bust at the school right now where she is the governor 

As for typhoons , worst ive experienced was 60 mph winds in the north sea , the big danger apart from sinking was hypothermia 

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

Philvocs had a fault map page but the map is no longer available (sheesh!).

But Wikipedia has fault maps. The plates move in the direction of their arrows. The lines without arrows are faults that are just crumpling due to the action of the big boys. Our latest quakes have been happening near the line that cuts west of GenSan and heads through Cotobato City.

Extra-special good news is the fault that practically runs through Davao. 

Find your own fault and have a good worry!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Fault_System

PhilippineFaultSystem035.jpg

Edited by JDDavao

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I hope your home is doing okay. Our build seems to be okay so far. We need to go pay a visit again soon...

We're good here. I'm going to have to do something about the hanging light globes over the dining table though. The girl helping us out for a week was more scared of those clacking together, I think.

Hope everything is good at Rancho Tommy T.

• Thanks 1