Mindanao earthquake

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The wife just heard on the news that a mountain had collapsed covering many houses, anyone heard anything.

• Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Just had an update on the damaged buildings at ecoland 4000

The buildings are under warranty and will be rebuilt by the contractor,  its a large company calked ION 

Im pleased about that 

Tommy T where are you ? 

I'm surprised that any company involved would have disappeared over the horizon before the 1st floor had hit the ground.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I'm surprised that any company involved would have disappeared over the horizon before the 1st floor had hit the ground.

As things go gary ,its good news in a rough sea 

Time will tell if it holds truth

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The wife just heard on the news that a mountain had collapsed covering many houses, anyone heard anything.

It was a landslide, we were looking at the pics on Facebook.

landslide.jpg

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Check in, please, @Tommy T. .

Sorry for the delay here, JD. No need to worry but I appreciate your concern - thanks!

We were out at the construction site yesterday inspecting the work. We had finished and were just chatting with the workers when that big quake hit. It was very sudden but rolling and jarring rather than jolting - at least that's how it seemed to us. The building held up fine and we did not hear any cracks or see any obvious damage. The scaffolding was banging and ringing and it was not fun at all. We will have the engineer come and take yet another look in a day or two... The workers and L squatted down while I stood my ground - it felt an awful lot like being at sea but totally uncontrolled... At sea you can do things to improve your situation most of the time. In these quakes, I felt totally helpless. Tomorrow I will post some photos of progress but I am too tired right now.

We were busy all day yesterday trying to do routine things, but malls were closed for a while for inspections, ATM's were mostly offline, the water district was closed and Davao Power and Light closed early before we could pay an invoice. Most high rise buildings were closed for inspection, then later due to the half day holiday. So the only thing we got done was to eat lunch...

Everywhere we drove we saw people sitting or standing around outside many buildings - big and small. Having not seen this before, the assumption was that they were all outside as building inspections were conducted. Even though that quake hit at 9:11 am, people were still milling about after 11.

And we were busy today on a road trip to Mati to visit L's parents and other rellies, so no time for internet.

5 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I thought that Tommy T lived in Cebu? I'm wrong again most likely.:89:

Third time in your life you are wrong AK? I guess you didn't look at my profile? It's another Tom (JGF) who lives in Cebu...:ohmy:

3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Just had an update on the damaged buildings at ecoland 4000

The buildings are under warranty and will be rebuilt by the contractor,  its a large company calked ION 

Im pleased about that 

Tommy T where are you ? 

Thanks for your thoughts Baston!

The frightening thing about the Ecoland 4000 collapse is that I stayed in the adjacent building for a week when I first moved over from Samal Island to Davao City. There was a very cool old Chevy Impala parked in the ground floor level of the building that collapsed - I think it was a 1967? I ogled that numerous times when I walked through the garage to get my bike. Now it must be crushed... I am glad to hear that nobody was seriously hurt there. Now I hear the drumbeat of possible lawsuits from the mayor's office...

There was a news conference yesterday with the mayor that L listened to. Apparently she (the mayor) has directed that all large or public buildings will be inspected by city engineers. Also the bridges. She advised people to avoid the Bolton bridge - the oldest one in the city. Yesterday we had not heard this and sat in traffic on it for about 20 minutes...NOW we hear this?! Since then, the bridges have been checked and deemed okay and safe.

There is noticeable damage to the Felcris NCCC building - a high rise adjacent to the Bolton bridge. Not sure if it is superficial or more serious, but the facade shows large cracks and some of the plaster (surface cement) has broken loose and fallen off. Some cracks run several stores from almost ground level and up - maybe 5 or more stories?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

so no time for internet

What does this even mean? It's like a foreign language. :hystery:

Glad you and yours are ok, Tommy.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

What does this even mean? It's like a foreign language. :hystery:

Yeah... more like from another planet!!!! Hard to fathom not connecting online for a couple of days!:shock_40_anim_gif:

Thanks for your wishes, JD... You did not mention, but it sounds like you must be okay too...

And glad that, it appears, that you are okay there too... 

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

You did not mention, but it sounds like you must be okay too...

We're all good here with no damage to the house. Just very stressed. With my bad ears comes not-so-good balance. I find that after all of these quakes, I feel like I'm moving all of the time. My wife nailed it when we talked about it and she said she feels like she's floating. 

One of Menchu's friends was here two days ago and she said she had to visit the doctor to get something to calm her nerves. She wasn't sleeping and was having terrible anxiety over the next quake. The anxiety level nearer the epicenters must be unbearable.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

We're all good here with no damage to the house. Just very stressed. With my bad ears comes not-so-good balance. I find that after all of these quakes, I feel like I'm moving all of the time. My wife nailed it when we talked about it and she said she feels like she's floating. 

One of Menchu's friends was here two days ago and she said she had to visit the doctor to get something to calm her nerves. She wasn't sleeping and was having terrible anxiety over the next quake. The anxiety level nearer the epicenters must be unbearable.

Glad you are okay there, JD.

Yeah... L and I get the feeling often that there is a tremor or quake when there is none - it's like anticipation for the main event? L gets a bit of vertigo now and then too...

I can be sitting in the chair watching TV and then feel like there is a quake. I could swear that the house is moving... So I look at the water bottle for confirmation or denial... mostly it is denial...

I have never had these feelings before and never endured such strong earthquakes before...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I wonder if these sensations you guys are experiencing are just the aftershocks?  If you look on Philvolcs, there are dozens of small 2.x aftershocks usually.  Too small to 'feel', but maybe your inner ear is picking up the vibrations.

• Like 1