Mindanao earthquake

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Glad you are okay there, JD.

Yeah... L and I get the feeling often that there is a tremor or quake when there is none - it's like anticipation for the main event? L gets a bit of vertigo now and then too...

I can be sitting in the chair watching TV and then feel like there is a quake. I could swear that the house is moving... So I look at the water bottle for confirmation or denial... mostly it is denial...

I have never had these feelings before and never endured such strong earthquakes before...

Maybe just too much beer? Kidding aside it is a very surreal experience. Iv'e experienced a few smaller ones when I lived in CA. Everyone just looks at each other with a WTF look on their face. :smile:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gary D said:

The wife just heard on the news that a mountain had collapsed covering many houses, anyone heard anything.

Gf has been visiting friends at a place called maragusan,  she has left and was heading back to davao , but has diverted to Mati , she says that theres been a landslide at Namburtan , that's up Compostella area

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JDDavao said:

What does this even mean? It's like a foreign language. :hystery:

Glad you and yours are ok, Tommy.

Glad both of you guys are okay , gf has just told me theres abig landslide in namburtan 

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I wonder if these sensations you guys are experiencing are just the aftershocks?

I don't know what you would call it. It's not the aftershocks, even though we've felt aftershocks that haven't been reported (according to my app which hooks into the United State Geological Service).

It's like, I sit in this chair at the computer and a kitten grabs a tie for the seat cushion and the feeling of the cushion moving makes my brain say: "Earthquake!" Just for a moment, until I realize what it was.

Everyone knows how wobbly the furniture is here. As I write this, the desk is moving a little. I'm used to it but every once in a while, my brain says, "Earthquake!"

Is it a form of PTSD maybe? I sure don't want to belittle those that suffer with that. Plain old anxiety, maybe? 

I used to enjoy the occasional earthquake, here. I'm an east coast USA boy who never felt the earth move until the Nisqually Quake in 2001, in Washington State. I was scared then but it was also cool (because I didn't suffer). So I thought the occasional quake here was kind of cool. I don't think that any more.

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I don't know what you would call it. It's not the aftershocks, even though we've felt aftershocks that haven't been reported (according to my app which hooks into the United State Geological Service).

It's like, I sit in this chair at the computer and a kitten grabs a tie for the seat cushion and the feeling of the cushion moving makes my brain say: "Earthquake!" Just for a moment, until I realize what it was.

Everyone knows how wobbly the furniture is here. As I write this, the desk is moving a little. I'm used to it but every once in a while, my brain says, "Earthquake!"

Is it a form of PTSD maybe? I sure don't want to belittle those that suffer with that. Plain old anxiety, maybe? 

I used to enjoy the occasional earthquake, here. I'm an east coast USA boy who never felt the earth move until the Nisqually Quake in 2001, in Washington State. I was scared then but it was also cool (because I didn't suffer). So I thought the occasional quake here was kind of cool. I don't think that any more.

I remember that there was talk in the 70,s of burying nuclear waste in the southern scottish mountains , it was a big debate with environmentalists versus the waste people 

The idea was to drill deep down into the rock and leave the stuff there  , the area was picked as its home to some very old mountains geologically , theres never been and kind of movements there for thousands of years , the waste people almost won the argument,  except the first ever earthquake recorded in that area happened ,it was a small one but enoughut to kill the argument 

The only earthquake that ive experienced was in england , it felt like a heavy truck driving past the house 

I hope the threr recent ones are the last for a long time 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Recent news story about the quake damages in Davao:

Another condominium in Davao City was damaged by the series of earthquakes that hit the southern Philippine island of Mindanao this week.

A magnitude-6.6 earthquake quake and a magnitude-6.5 temblor hit Mindanao on Tuesday and Thursday, respectively. This was followed by a magnitude 5.5 earthquake on Friday morning, and a magnitude 5.0 on Friday afternoon.

As a result, two out of the three buildings of Palmetto Place at Barangay Maa were damaged, with cracks visible on some of its walls and ceilings leading to the parking area, according to a report by Cecille Villarosa on GMA News' 24 Oras on Saturday.

Pieces of concrete that chipped off from the building also littered the ground.

Cracks appeared on a stairway after the earthquake.

Residents of Building Two and Three have already been asked to evacuate.

"The other day pa, napadalahan na sila ng notice to evacuate muna the buildings while being retrofitted by the management," City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) chief Alfredo Baloran said.

GMA News is still trying to get a statement from Palmetto Place.

Meanwhile, those residing beside the foot of a nearby mountain were also asked to evacuate after the CDRRMO and the Mines and Geosciences Bureau conducted an inspection and found the area to be in danger.

"Konting galaw na lang gugulong 'yan so ma apektuhan yung mga residence na naka patong diyan plus etong bahay," an official said.

No less than 30 houses may be affected by the possible landslide, the report added. 

Palmetto Place is the second condominium unit in Davao City to report damage from the quakes, following the Ecoland 4000 condominium, where nine people got injured when one of its buildings was heavily damaged by the 6.5-magnitude earthquake that jolted Mindanao anew on Thursday.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

L and I are still feeling sort of a vertigo at times. After thinking about it, I remember now that with each of the strongest quakes, I did not realize they were earthquakes at first. One time I was bending over to get something in the kitchen and suddenly started to feel dizzy and unsteady, then L said it was a quake. The second time I was chatting with a mechanic at his shop about some repair work he is doing on my car and had that exact same feeling - a bit of dizziness and unsteady, like I was about fall or faint. Then the mechanic and everyone else became alarmed and we staggered outside as it jolted. The third time when at our home site, those same eerie feelings before the realization - and movement - really hit.

I keep watching the water bottle often now, looking for movement to match my senses. I don't like these feelings and the nervousness that comes from them...

I am interested in any opinions about evacuation. We live in a third floor apartment that has a concrete slab terrace overhead with three water tanks there. The roof is all reinforced to carry the weight of two 1500 liter tanks and one 600 liter tank.

So I wonder which is the safest thing to do when an earthquake strikes? I find it difficult to walk during the strongest ones and am afraid that negotiating the concrete stairs would be more dangerous than just hanging tight here. L thinks to go to the roof to be safest since it is only one story up. She reasons that there is nothing to fall on top of us there either. Or she suggests getting out altogether but it would take time and possibly be more dangerous. So far the building - about 4 years old - is only showing a number of hairline cracks. Some are recent from the latest quakes and some have been there a while but a few have grown a bit longer and a bit wider - only so I can stick my fingernail into it...

Edited by Tommy T.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

L and I are still feeling sort of a vertigo at times. After thinking about it, I remember now that with each of the strongest quakes, I did not realize they were earthquakes at first. One time I was bending over to get something in the kitchen and suddenly started to feel dizzy and unsteady, then L said it was a quake. The second time I was chatting with a mechanic at his shop about some repair work he is doing on my car and had that exact same feeling - a bit of dizziness and unsteady, like I was about fall or faint. Then the mechanic and everyone else became alarmed and we staggered outside as it jolted. The third time when at our home site, those same eerie feelings before the realization - and movement - really hit.

I keep watching the water bottle often now, looking for movement to match my senses. I don't like these feelings and the nervousness that comes from them...

I am interested in any opinions about evacuation. We live in a third floor apartment that has a concrete slab terrace overhead with three water tanks there. The roof is all reinforced to carry the weight of two 1500 liter tanks and one 600 liter tank.

So I wonder which is the safest thing to do when an earthquake strikes? I find it difficult to walk during the strongest ones and am afraid that negotiating the concrete stairs would be more dangerous than just hanging tight here. L thinks to go to the roof to be safest since it is only one story up. She reasons that there is nothing to fall on top of us there either. Or she suggests getting out altogether but it would take time and possibly be more dangerous. So far the building - about 4 years old - is only showing a number of hairline cracks. Some are recent from the latest quakes and some have been there a while but a few have grown a bit longer and a bit wider - only so I can stick my fingernail into it...

Thats a difficult one Tommy. I think in that case, living on the 3rd floor I would be inclined to get out asap. Especially with that weight of the tanks on the roof. These buildings often 'pancake' when they do collapse. I am no expert of course, but I think it would be unlikely to collapse instantly, there would be progressive failure of structural members before the whole lot came down, I would think. Especially in a relatively new building. Enough time to get out, not forgetting your 'grab bag' on the way out!

All this recent activity has certainly focused the mind. Here in CDO we are at the other end of the fault line that links with Davao. So if you get, we very probably will, and indeed have, got it as well.

On a different note, I heard this morning of an expat in Bukidnon whose house has survived the recent tremors intact, but unfortunately his in-ground septic tank, made from hollow blocks, has completely cracked apparantly. Not a pleasent job to have to repair! 

Maybe one of those plastic ones might be more resilient in that case. I will have to do some research on that.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Here in CDO we are at the other end of the fault line that links with Davao. So if you get, we very probably will, and indeed have, got it as well.

Thanks for your thoughts Ken. Is that Cagayan de Oro - CDO? Have you felt these strongly there?

Plastic vs. cement for the tank? I know they sell a lot of them in USA. I think it depends on what kind of plastic? Properly manufactured fiberglass would be up to the job but I would not trust un-reinforced plastic. It might crack, but that could be repaired. It would also depend on the installation. Poor installation means no material would work...

I am very curious why an in-ground hollow block tank would crack. I would think that, with liquid inside and soil or sand outside would offer equal stresses and that it all would move the same way. But if there are rocks or other things, then maybe that would be the cause? I am also not an engineer so don't have the answer.

Interesting that they make the tanks out of hollow block. I remember the tanks we installed for our home in USA - solid concrete tanks shipped complete on flatbed truck with it's own crane to lift and install. Of course that would be too expensive here for both the truck and tanks. Here labour is cheap.

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your thoughts Ken. Is that Cagayan de Oro - CDO? Have you felt these strongly there?

Plastic vs. cement for the tank? I know they sell a lot of them in USA. I think it depends on what kind of plastic? Properly manufactured fiberglass would be up to the job but I would not trust un-reinforced plastic. It might crack, but that could be repaired. It would also depend on the installation. Poor installation means no material would work...

I am very curious why an in-ground hollow block tank would crack. I would think that, with liquid inside and soil or sand outside would offer equal stresses and that it all would move the same way. But if there are rocks or other things, then maybe that would be the cause? I am also not an engineer so don't have the answer.

You've seen how they build here Tom. If the visible structures leave a lot to be desired than imagine how a hidden structure, with its only purpose to hold sh*# and p!#%, is constructed!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1