When to move with details inside.

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Exactly, that's not living comfortably or healthy. Hate large cities. I live comfortably on $1000 but I have my own roof over my head.   

Did it ever crossed your mind that what is comfortable for you may be uncomfortable for others?

I love large cities... Living in Cebu Business Park is very comfortable to me, maybe too comfortable... Traffic around my building is not so bad comparing to other parts of Cebu, so no major fume problem, also living on the 30th floor helps getting fresh air... (My gf told me the other day that she used to get bronchitis very often but since she moved with me in the condo she is not getting sick anymore, so it is a good sign).  So I get fresh air and it is quiet, even with the windows open.

It is comfortable because everything is close by, groceries? I just cross the street and 2 large and clean supermarkets are there, no need to spend time and money stuck in traffic and fumes… Eating out? same, just cross the street, tens restaurants just across the street, no traffic, banks, movies, coffe shops, etc it is all there, zero traffic... I love to travel so relatively near international airport is a plus.

Streets are relatively clean, no homeless, beggars, no cooking or parking on the sideways... I feel very comfortable... It may be not comfortable for you but to each his own.

• Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'd be approaching it from the perspective of why here?  For most of us who are here, we didn't necessarily choose the place rather our partners are from here.  Next, what is the motivation to come here at all - if it's just because it seems easier to date and living costs are cheaper, I'd say don't be so sure about that - and the two can be directly related - plenty of high maintenance women here who have expensive tastes, especially of the rich, young foreigner is paying.  As some have already mentioned, if you want to live a relatively comfortable life here the costs rack up quickly!

As for your budget, assuming no further financial crises, you would be OK IF you keep a close eye on your budget.  But, you have a lot of life ahead of you and wonder if the place has enough to keep you happy and busy.

If it were me, I wouldn't be doing it at this moment. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

If it were me, I wouldn't be doing it at this moment. 

For the OP @usa32 Doubt.jpg :wink: But best Of Luck.  Cynically I would suggest you read up On Adapting to the Culture of the PI a lot of answers are in the Culture shock anyone may get :smile: 

Edited by Jack Peterson
added 1 tiny weeny word LOL
  • Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I can't add much to what's been written already buy other posters except... be wary of investing in business in the Philippines using your nest egg and don't spend more than you can afford to lose.  Some do ok but many more don't.

• Like 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Did it ever crossed your mind that what is comfortable for you may be uncomfortable for others?

YES

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Can’t add much at all, but reading what you and others have retired on with money in the bank , I would be able to live very well anywhere , lots off planning and more planning and then enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

That rate sounds quite low for Cebu or Manilla, especially for a decent place. :89:  Realize also that a condo here is not like a condo in the USA.  Many are the size of a hotel room.

I've had at least 3 very nice apartments in Manila for less than 300 a month. I live in a 1 bedroom now that is a little more than 200. Sure there are more expensive areas in Manila like Eastwood or Makati but unless you need to live in a luxury condo surrounded by other Expats other area's have everything you need.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, jaybee said:

I was in your shoes many year ago, currently retired living in Cebu.

So you have a million dollars "in the bank"? I don't know how much interest the bank is paying you but if it is less than 7-8% and you are withdrawing 4% sooner or later you are going to run out of money.

If you have 1 million bucks in the bank at 4% interest per year, wouldn't that translate to $40,000? Jeez. Maybe you should retire in Makati. I'm living on much less than that.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimeve said:

Exactly, that's not living comfortably or healthy. Hate large cities. I live comfortably on $1000 but I have my own roof over my head.   

That is also about my budget when you take into account schooling for Diana

• Like 1
  • Love it 1