Electrical problems.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have no idea how the earth works over here, (or the US for that matter) with only the live and neutral wires.

Ooops... I just now went back and read Gary's last post - I missed it before. He answers your comment very well.

So I deleted my own reply here... 

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Very Interesting to those that can understand these technical posts BUT I sit and wonder if they are  helping @jimeve cure his faulty Outlets here in the PI :whatever:

Jack, i've got a sparky coming out on tuesday, the thread I made was for anyone to post problems regarding electrical problems and/or need some information.

Thank you for your concerns mate.:58:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Well, the electricians been and sorted out the problem.  i never noticed it myself. Outside on the wall is an external waterproof outlet, some water got in and blew the wiring.

So the electrician condemned that outlet, now all's good. Nice guy and he knows what he's doing. Going to let him put in a water heater for the kitchen sink .

Good to hear the problem's solved finally, Jim! So the "waterproof" outlet was just water resistant?

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Good to hear the problem's solved finally, Jim! So the "waterproof" outlet was just water resistant?

Seems so Tommy, I never use it anyway. It's exposed to the elements and to me it was a daft idea. Oh well. Only in the Philippines.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Seems so Tommy, I never use it anyway. It's exposed to the elements and to me it was a daft idea. Oh well. Only in the Philippines.

Hmmm... not necessarily so, Jim. Sorry to disagree with you here...

We had "weatherproof" outlets outside our house in Seattle. They lasted for years. Maybe the build is better there than here? That would definitely not surprise me. The USA versions had strong spring-loaded caps that fit snugly with rubber gaskets over the outlets when not in use. Never had a problem and it rains a lot in Seattle.

In our new home we will have at least two outdoor outlets. After they are installed, I will literally drown them with WD40  or even light oil to assist the water "resistance" properties. I did that on electrics on the yacht and it made a big difference because there were occasional leaks of fresh or salt water several times. The water repellent chemicals stopped or at least delayed corrosion issues and saved me a lot of hassles...

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Good for Christmas lights, electric lawn mower/trimmer, etc.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Good for Christmas lights, electric lawn mower/trimmer, etc.

Not really Mike, it's at the back of the house and there's nothing there. much. I have 4 outlets in front of the house on the terrace which are covered by the balcony above.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm... not necessarily so, Jim. Sorry to disagree with you here...

We had "weatherproof" outlets outside our house in Seattle. They lasted for years. Maybe the build is better there than here? That would definitely not surprise me. The USA versions had strong spring-loaded caps that fit snugly with rubber gaskets over the outlets when not in use. Never had a problem and it rains a lot in Seattle.

The ones I've seen commonly used here are not what I'd call waterproof...I'm not even sure they're water resistant! Basically, a standard plastic outlet with a hinged cover - as simple as that. Nothing to stop the water getting under the plate or through the cover. We have 2 but both are under roof cover so no issue.

Back in the UK we had a fully enclosed unit with heavy duty plastic - not suitable for equipment permanently plugged though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 10/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, Tommy T. said:

I will also get a whole house surge protector.

Isn't that the same as a lightning rod?:tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1