Electrical problems.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The ones I've seen commonly used here are not what I'd call waterproof...I'm not even sure they're water resistant! Basically, a standard plastic outlet with a hinged cover - as simple as that. Nothing to stop the water getting under the plate or through the cover. We have 2 but both are under roof cover so no issue.

I have a feeling I might need to apply some of my sailing background to ensure I have outlets that are functional and waterproof or at least heavily water resistant. At least it is fresh water, not salty. What I mentioned before should work. I can actually pack the outlets with something like teflon grease if necessary. Or I can construct little covers, perhaps... I think I am up to the task!:dance:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Isn't that the same as a lightning rod?:tongue:

No, AK... those are back in Kansas... We're not there any more....:hystery:

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I have a feeling I might need to apply some of my sailing background to ensure I have outlets that are functional and waterproof or at least heavily water resistant. At least it is fresh water, not salty. What I mentioned before should work. I can actually pack the outlets with something like teflon grease if necessary. Or I can construct little covers, perhaps... I think I am up to the task!:dance:

Simple solution. Whenever it rains..go hold an umbrella over it. Unless that's too technical! :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

For outdoor outlets I purchased these Omni outlet covers from Wilcon.  I have seen them at Ace also.

https://www.omniphilippines.com.ph/product/wpp-601/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I think you are going to have a bit of work making those waterproof. As a minimum you would need to seal the back to the wall to stop the water running down the wall and behind it. I brought a few of these from the UK.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/67928

It comes with a good seal but I used silicone and has a nice large overhang drip edge on the top as well as the sides.  The wires come out the bottom and once closed no water is going to get in.  I don't have a power washer but the 60psi from my garden hose has failed it,...yet!  I did not know they had Omni in the UK.  I never saw them in the states.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The ones I've seen commonly used here are not what I'd call waterproof...I'm not even sure they're water resistant! Basically, a standard plastic outlet with a hinged cover - as simple as that. Nothing to stop the water getting under the plate or through the cover. We have 2 but both are under roof cover so no issue.

Back in the UK we had a fully enclosed unit with heavy duty plastic - not suitable for equipment permanently plugged though.

That's exactly same as the one I have. Totally useless for external use, unless it's under a shelter.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Simple solution. Whenever it rains..go hold an umbrella over it. Unless that's too technical!

Not complex enough... I need more bells, whistles and chemicals and widgets... Rube Goldberg style...:89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, intrepid said:

For outdoor outlets I purchased these Omni outlet covers from Wilcon.  I have seen them at Ace also.

Thanks, Intrepid... those might do the trick if I seal them against the wall with silicone or butyl rubber caulking. But I will still pack the outlets with grease or spray them heavily with oil based WD 40 or similar. Better to do a bit too much rather than not enough... I will also go one step further and make sure that the wiring in the wall enters the box from the top rather than the bottom so any water is less likely to travel along the wire - it's an old yacht wiring trick...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

...make sure that the wiring in the wall enters the box from the top rather than the bottom so any water is less likely to travel along the wire - it's an old yacht wiring trick...

This has confused me a little - surely waters flows down more easily than up?

• Like 2