IQ scores by country

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is a very interesting report listing countries by their average IQ level

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/average-iq-by-country/

It is very interesting to me, because most of Southeast Asia scores higher for average IQ than the countries we expats come from.  I guess we are not so smart after all.

However, with most of South East Asia scoring very high, the Philippines looks to be the lowest on the list.  How can that be?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It goes to help proove what we have been telling our cousins across the waters that we brits are smarter :hystery:

Im.now going to my bomb shelter to hide before i get shot :popcorn:

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

However, with most of South East Asia scoring very high, the Philippines looks to be the lowest on the list.  How can that be?

There is some relation between IQ test results and English language skill and education level and places like Japan and Singapore have more easily available secondary education than the Philippines, I suspect that's a contributing factor.

• Like 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Low infant mortality rate and iodine deficiency are supposed to be the biggest factors. China/Japan eat a lot of seaweed that has a lot more iodine in than anything else. US also got a lot of African Americans pulling their average down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Schools here prepare the kids for life as adults in the Philippines.

So they have lots and lots of days off.  When they are in school much time is spent getting ready for holidays and Fiesta.  The kids need to learn new dance routines, new songs, with a lot of practice time so they can sing and dance as a team.   Since there are lots of holidays and Fiesta it just doesn't leave a lot of time for math, science, world events, etc.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Maybe I exaggerate a bit, but unfortunately this is what I see here, at least in our area.  Also I am a little suspicious of those China scores. :whistling:

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

"IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower.For more than a century our intelligence quotient (IQ) has been used to measure how clever people are and Mensa, the society for the intellectual elite, has even used the test to weed out sub-par applicants.

But now the scale has been dismissed as a "myth" by scientists who found that our intelligence can only be predicted by combining results from at least three tests of our mental agility.

Different circuits within the brain are used for different thought processes, the researchers showed, meaning separate tests of short-term memory, reasoning and verbal skills are needed to measure someone's overall intelligence.

Their landmark study was based on the results of an online intelligence test which was launched by the Daily Telegraph and New Scientist two years ago, and attracted more than 110,000 responses.

Dr Roger Highfield, the Telegraph columnist and one of the authors of the paper, said: "When you come to the most complex known object, the human brain, the idea that there is only one measure of intelligence had to be wrong."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is a very interesting report listing countries by their average IQ level

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/average-iq-by-country/

It is very interesting to me, because most of Southeast Asia scores higher for average IQ than the countries we expats come from.  I guess we are not so smart after all.

I've seen these before and I wonder how they can get all these IQ scores and score a country?  When was the last time you took an IQ test?  An IQ test is quite a tedious and long exercise.  Who takes them?  Students?  Adults?  Expats?  What ages? What is the sample size?  How are the tests standardized across the globe to ensure fairness across language and cultural differences?  How can Canada be higher than the U.S.?

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Because Canadians are closer to Brits than Yanks are. :hystery:

No, they are closer to France and France is 98!  :hystery:

• Haha 1