Building a house in Bataan

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The roller door salesman suggested using the wider slats for a residential application and I think it was good advice. It would have been nice to have it painted but it was another 40k for powder coating, as it was the motor drive nearly doubled the cost of the basic manual door.

Would you mind sharing the cost of that door all up? If not here, then PM me if you wish?

And do you have a remote for it? Can you control it with an app on your cell phone?

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Would you mind sharing the cost of that door all up? If not here, then PM me if you wish?

No problem, the door is 4 metres wide by 8 feet high. The cost installed was 63k. The same door powder coated was quoted as 104k. Manual only would have been about 30k but a door of that size it would be impractical. My main concern about paint is that roller doors tend to rub when rolling.

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Although the kitchen is not completely finished Tess has been trying out the oven.

MVIMG_20200311_174235.jpg

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Not much to show this week. The shower screen arrived, 1/2" tempered glass. I'm gradually putting the water on, the front apartment is done, leaks stopped although the shower drips annoyingly. Hopefully just a bit of grit but spares are usually non existent. Started on our apartment which is a bit more complex as it's pressurised. The pressure tank connection to the pump is leaking so I think it will need a complete strip down.

MVIMG_20200315_170532.jpg

MVIMG_20200315_170543.jpg

MVIMG_20200315_170630.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Well the final figure is in. There going to a few odds and sods like the electricity pole, TV antenna etc but those costs are going to be down in the noise. So here it is, 20,100 pesos per square metre, excluding the cost of the land which is likely to be about 100k. This make the front apartment 753.5k and the rear apartment with garage 2,130k. Totalling 2.88m.

Very neat and tidy, Gary - well done!!! And your costs seem reasonable to me, but I really don't know how to gauge that here.... I would rely on L to advise me...

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Very neat and tidy, Gary - well done!!! And your costs seem reasonable to me, but I really don't know how to gauge that here.... I would rely on L to advise me...

I've seen average costs quoted between 15-20k per square metre for a middle class house so mine looks top end, but then we have probably built better than the average filipino house as it's more like a filipino built western house. Having been in a couple of subdivision houses they are pretty poorly built.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It is a bit difficult for me to see from your photos... Do you have bars on your windows? If not, do you intend to install some?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It is a bit difficult for me to see from your photos... Do you have bars on your windows? If not, do you intend to install some?

No no bars. Not thought too much about it. Bars aren't going to stop kids throwing rocks through them but as they are all sliding they are much more secure than jalousie widows.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

No no bars. Not thought too much about it. Bars aren't going to stop kids throwing rocks through them but as they are all sliding they are much more secure than jalousie widows.

We pondered this as well and decided to go without.  Unless you are going to install ones that can be swung open quickly  in event of fire you are taking a risk, and it makes washing windows and painting the frames a more challenging task as well.  Our street is about 50/50 so I'm not the only one - if I were we would probably have installed them.