Building a house in Bataan

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Bobm said:

Okay,  northern Bataan. Don't know much about that area. We have a place in Marvelous which is south near 5 fingers.  What's average land cost there for 1 or 2 hectors? Do you know? 

Yes we are just on the northern border with Pampanga. No idea of the price of land, they seem to make it up as they go along. I'm sure a foreigner will pay far more than a local.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bastonjock said:

If it was me , i woukd use a minimum of 4 rods one at each corner , dig a trench,  to take the cable and run a 10mm preferably 16mm "RING " between the rods and then back to the board

Think carefully, Baston, before you would use the system you suggest. It could cause problems, I believe, in case of a power surge or lightning strike. I would need to research to be certain (and I am too busy to check right now) but I think a single ground should be fine so long as the bare copper wire going to the grounding rod and the clamps, etc. are all very robust and it is installed properly. In USA, that's how it's done - doesn't mean it's the best way, just the common way.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Think carefully, Baston, before you would use the system you suggest. It could cause problems, I believe, in case of a power surge or lightning strike. I would need to research to be certain (and I am too busy to check right now) but I think a single ground should be fine so long as the bare copper wire going to the grounding rod and the clamps, etc. are all very robust and it is installed properly. In USA, that's how it's done - doesn't mean it's the best way, just the common way.

Im basing my statement on the system we use in the UK , we measure the impedance in the earth from each individual rod and back to the board

The reasoning behind this is that electricity will always take the path of least resistance 

Ive got a one inch thick book here on the rules that i have to follow lol 

In the UK ,there are 5 different types of earthing arrangements 

The soil type is also a big factor and weather 

As an additional safety feature , i would put a link in on the earth rod system and disconnect it during an electrical storm 

I base that on having measured 1100v spike on the earth wire as a result of a back feed , this was a very unusual situation and it came from electric trains starting up their inverter drives at a london station

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

As an additional safety feature , i would put a link in on the earth rod system and disconnect it during an electrical storm 

I base that on having measured 1100v spike on the earth wire as a result of a back feed , this was a very unusual situation and it came from electric trains starting up their inverter drives at a london station

That link would only work when you are home and can disconnect that, right?

That big voltage spike sounds a bit scary... More reasons for us to have a surge surpressor... Although there are no electric trains within maybe 700 miles or more of the house?

And yeah... the Brits have set the bar for bureaucracy for rules and regs....right?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, Gary D said:

Thanks, I'll update as anything of note comes along. We are just outside Dinilupihan although we are part of Hermosa.

Gary, off topic.  I've been meaning to ask.  Have you been to the Bean Box Cafe or Bean Box Kitchen in Dinalupihan?  It is just past McD on the right, across from the big park at city hall.  Our friends own it and it is pretty good!  Stop in and give it a review here.  I will give them your feedback.

They have U.S. style big muffins and great cakes in the coffee shop, in addition to good coffee.  They brought us a carrot cake yesterday that was excellent, and I am an expert on carrot cake!  All baked from scratch, in house.

They are opening a second location in Balanga City.  The building is under construction now and they hope to open in January.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Gary, off topic.  I've been meaning to ask.  Have you been to the Bean Box Cafe or Bean Box Kitchen in Dinalupihan?  It is just past McD on the right, across from the big park at city hall.  Our friends own it and it is pretty good!  Stop in and give it a review here.  I will give them your feedback.

They have U.S. style big muffins and great cakes in the coffee shop, in addition to good coffee.  They brought us a carrot cake yesterday that was excellent, and I am an expert on carrot cake!  All baked from scratch, in house.

They are opening a second location in Balanga City.  The building is under construction now and they hope to open in January.

There is a Bean box which we used once a couple of years ago and the food was ok but very long wait. I think the one you are talking about could be the Beanery whuch is very new. Expensive but very impressed. Funny you should mention the carrot cake, the wife had it last visit. I enjoyed it but the wife prefers if a bit more solid, more carrot less cake.

Edited by Gary D

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Rereading your post onmyway, you are talking about the Bean Box, As I said we used it once some time ago and was disappointed but it does generally get good reviews. We will have to try them out again sometime.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

Rereading your post onmyway, you are talking about the Bean Box, As I said we used it once some time ago and was disappointed but it does generally get good reviews. We will have to try them out again sometime.

Yes, the other new place is their competition.  I haven't been there but it looks nice.

The small Bean Box Cafe coffee place is probably where you went, before they took over the building next door and opened a full resto / bar, the Bean Box Kitchen.  They have live music there quite often.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

And then there was walls. The builders managed to put the floor slab to the main house yesterday in-between the rain showers and today started laying the hollow blocks. They have also started to infill the garage. Again rain on and off all day.

MVIMG_20191105_163431.jpg

MVIMG_20191105_163437.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Gary D
Posted
Posted

Well it's been nearly a couple of weeks so thing are moving along. The back half, two beds and the garage are largely there now. The builders have just got to put a beam across the middle of the garage and the 60cm beam across the garage entrance. It's going to be a 4m wide roll-up  door. The old store has nearly gone so they will be starting on the small apartment at the front shortly. Our front garden is full of the steelwork ready for starting the roof and is being painted with primer.

MVIMG_20191116_151248.jpg

MVIMG_20191116_150908.jpg

MVIMG_20191116_151011.jpg

MVIMG_20191116_150948.jpg

• Like 4