Often hear that nothing changes

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Walking intensive I would disagree, the only walking done in our area is as far as the tricycle. And that is if the tricycle can't get to their door.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree strongly with your comments and examples.

There seems to be a big push on to clean up the streets and, hopefully, the rubbish situation there in Manila. I really hope that same push extends out here to the further away burgs, like Davao City....

I think the next big push should be regarding jeepneys and their riders...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But maybe you haven't been keeping up with the demolition of houses on the rivers and canals and relocating the residents. Also walls being built and trash traps installed. Yes people still doing it but better than it was. 

We could have a tit for tat on who is keeping up with what. Maybe we can agree that things are starting to improve? I certainly think so.:cheers: 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2019 at 10:24 AM, Tommy T. said:

I think the next big push should be regarding jeepneys and their riders.

There is push to modernise Jeepneys. 

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is push to modernise Jeepneys. 

Read about that in the Star. The owners of the smoke belching jeepneys and the drivers don't want to lose their income. So they go on strike. With the right kind of govt assistance it might just work. Maybe some kind of low interest loan program.:89:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Read about that in the Star. The owners of the smoke belching jeepneys and the drivers don't want to lose their income. So they go on strike. With the right kind of govt assistance it might just work. Maybe some kind of low interest loan program.:89:

Coincidentally, the jeepney I was riding on today was stopped by the "smoke belch authorities" - the jeepney was taken off the road.  Cost me an extra 8 pesos to get another!  

The culture of laziness will need to change for the modernised jeepneys to succeed - no stopping and starting repeatedly for the sake of 25 yards or so.  Seriously, I have seen on numerous occasions a passenger get off 20 feet or so after the previous one - I'd be ashamed.  

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

As I've mentioned in another thread, only the engines need to be exchanged in the traditional Jeepneys, for clean-burning ones...initially.  

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

As I've mentioned in another thread, only the engines need to be exchanged in the traditional Jeepneys, for clean-burning ones...initially.  

If you can find a clean burning salvaged Japanese truck engine.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I disagree, Graham... respectfully...

The entire jeepney constructions need to be changed - per the new regulations from the government. They need to have the new bodies that load and unload from the right and side and not on the back. And the drivers need to be trained so not be so aggressive - not sure how to do that. I can see what they are doing, just trying to maximize their income and I can't fault them for that. But they should be busted - as is happening now here in Davao and as has been written in other locations- for their numerous and dangerous driving...

Then the riders need to be trained - and fined, if necessary - for hailing them and then calling for their frequent and silly stops - as HK mentioned - sometimes just a few meters from one stop to the next...

graham59
Posted
Posted

Well guys, I am not a person who has come as a guest to their (Filipinos) country, and has then sought to change THEIR way of life.

After my 30 years experience of living here, I know that you would be on a hiding to nothing. 

That is also why I don't sit around with other (wealthy) expats, listening to their continuous moaning and groaning about the locals, and how they (dare ?) to live their (mostly poverty-stricken) lives.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1