Coffee

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Strange how Barako coffee is so plentiful and affordable in the Philippines, but it's so hard to find plus it's very expensive outside of the Philippines.

Rumor has it that Nestle is behind all of the shortages for exports. It's been said that Nestle wanted to increase their sales of their 3-in-one coffee products, and they found ways to decrease the number of Barako coffee trees in the Philippines. True? IDK, but this is what I've been told.

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I'm sipping some right now, damn good stuff.   

Thanks for the tip! I usually stick to Folgers every morning but I'll have to try some of this. Looks like there is a Batangas Best brand for sale here locally.:smile: 

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Try south supermarkets if  there is any near you or any of the restaurants around most sell Barako coffee ! We buy ours from south and Robinsons ( it sells quickly !! ) we have a Blend and Brew coffee maker grinds the beans great buy from HMR !

As for Nestle yes i agree i never buy their 3 in 1 anymore too expensive compared to local brands 

Most Nestle coffee 3 in 1 s taste more milk than coffee 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Planning to rejoin the forum next year on a regular basis. My wife and I might also schedule a trip to the Philippines next year.

Hope you enjoy your trip next year. I get the Kirkland brand ground coffee at S&R instead of the Folgers. Not because it's about P200 cheaper, but because it just tastes better to me. My housekeeper/mother in law brews a pot every morning before I even wake up. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Hope you enjoy your trip next year. I get the Kirkland brand ground coffee at S&R instead of the Folgers. Not because it's about P200 cheaper, but because it just tastes better to me. My housekeeper/mother in law brews a pot every morning before I even wake up. :thumbsup:

Kirkland brand ground coffee is very good and their price is even better.  Sometimes there is inconsistency with both aroma and taste because Costco relies on several sources for blending the coffee beans, roasting and grinding.  The taste is very close to Yuban.  I believe that's their main supplier.  The coffee is sold under Costco's private label - Kirkland, so it's difficult to pinpoint who is the actual manufacturer(s).

If you find barako too strong, try a 50/50 blend with Yuban, Folgers or Kirkland coffee.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As I understand it, there is a coffee authority, and they periodically offer opportunities for people to become growers.  However it is structured, there seem to be a lot of small producers, which I think is preferable when you have companies like Nestle that are the 600 lb gorilla.  Limited reading I have done suggests that the liberica / barako plant is somewhat larger than the other coffee varieties, and produces less consistent bean shapes, making it less suited to mass production harvesting.  Which is perfect!  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Kirkland brand ground coffee is very good and their price is even better.  Sometimes there is inconsistency with both aroma and taste because Costco relies on several sources for blending the coffee beans, roasting and grinding.  The taste is very close to Yuban.  I believe that's their main supplier.  The coffee is sold under Costco's private label - Kirkland, so it's difficult to pinpoint who is the actual manufacturer(s).

If you find barako too strong, try a 50/50 blend with Yuban, Folgers or Kirkland coffee.

I'm not that much of a connoisseur. If it tastes good I drink it!:laugh: 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm not that much of a connoisseur. If it tastes good I drink it!:laugh: 

I guess I am the coffee snob on the forum... I grind my French or Italian Starbucks faithfully every morning and use the French press... It's truly an addiction... I just love almost burnt coffee...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1