Coffee

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I guess I am the coffee snob on the forum... I grind my French or Italian Starbucks faithfully every morning and use the French press... It's truly an addiction... I just love almost burnt coffee...

Almost burnt coffee? Eewwww! I hope you mean very dark roast. Can't handle that, myself. Light roast is what I prefer, but if none is available medium roast is acceptable. Coffee which has been sitting on a heater for more than about 2 hours acquires a burnt taste that I consider to be toxic.

I love Philippines coffee. I've tried some of the kinds that are widely accepted as being the best, specifically Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain. In my opinion Philippines-grown coffee is the best.

You know what the best thing about coffee is? It's legal!

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Guy.  Never much cared for french presses and starbucks, never mind all the copy cats.  Kona is pretty great, and I bought a local grind in Hawaii once that was very good.  But damn this Barako, every single cup is like...ahhh.  

But I won't try that Civet sh*t coffee from Indonesia!  A guy needs to have standards....:cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I am with you Tommy T. I've been reading your posts and I think we have much in common besides the coffee. 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Almost burnt coffee? Eewwww! I hope you mean very dark roast. Can't handle that, myself. Light roast is what I prefer, but if none is available medium roast is acceptable. Coffee which has been sitting on a heater for more than about 2 hours acquires a burnt taste that I consider to be toxic.

I guess I didn't write that post quite correctly... And I agree completely with you about coffee that's been festering on a hotplate for really any amount of time - it just does not taste good.

You are right, Guy... I meant really dark roast. Starbucks is known for its close to burnt coffee bean taste. But coffee is like pizza and underwear - it is very personal and individual.

Many years ago I was working in Seattle. I would wake up in the morning, brew up some coffee from beans I bought at the grocery store - and it was good coffee. One day I was driving down a street and spied a Starbucks. I had never been there but heard raves from people about it, so I went in and ordered just a large cup of whatever the brew of the day was. I loved the aroma and, after it cooled enough to sip, I loved the taste. I had never had coffee like that before and it was just about love at first taste.

Sure, I will drink lots of different coffees and enjoy many of them, including the Filipino grown. I never add anything like sugar or cream or milk. But I still really prefer Starbucks. Pete's or Seattle's Best come in second and third in my opinion. Whenever I travel, I always take a handful of Starbucks Via which is an instant Italian coffee. It is close to the taste of freshly ground and brewed beans.

I will also enjoy a good espresso of almost any brand - I like the very strong hit of very strong coffee.

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I’m very tempted to start a Barako Coffee import business, since a kilo
cost approx. 300 PHP (about $6 USD) in the Philippines, but the same amount sells for $34 in the US.

Lipa 2.JPG

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, Marvin Boggs said:

One of the finer pleasures of the Philippines, in my opinion, is the locally grown Barako coffee.

I have tried some Philippine coffee but I think it was from Northern Luzon, not Southern.  You got me interested so I am going to look for Barako.

I also buy Folgers, Kirkland and on the last few trips to S & R, Yuban.  They all taste good to this addict!  I have friends who use presses but that is too slow for me.  10 cups of Yuban brewing in the drip coffee maker right now!

I like most of the Starbuck's mild to medium beans, but that is a rare treat.  I can't afford to buy Starbuck's beans on a regular basis.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack D said:

I’m very tempted to start a Barako Coffee import business, since a kilo
cost approx. 300 PHP (about $6 USD) in the Philippines, but the same amount sells for $34 in the US.

That sounds like a good idea, Jack. I suggest, though, that you get moving on it quickly before it becomes a fad in USA. You know that can happen in a matter of months...

But good luck with the paper chase for customs, quarantine and whatever else officialdom may throw at you.

Let me know if it is working and I will buy some and send it back to friends there or suggest to them where to go to buy it there!

• Thanks 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Barako coffee is excellent. I drink "Black Gold" which is Barako mixed with arabica to enhance the aroma (apparently). Strong in a French press or drip filtered works just as well for me.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 10/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, Tommy T. said:

I guess I am the coffee snob on the forum... I grind my French or Italian Starbucks faithfully every morning and use the French press... It's truly an addiction... I just love almost burnt coffee...

Theres a good YouTube series about an old sea dog , and he kick starts the day with coffee , maybe it's a sailor's thing 

I tend to buy ground coffee and use a percolator,  I haven't done the ground your own beans thing 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I love Philippines coffee. I've tried some of the kinds that are widely accepted as being the best, specifically Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain. In my opinion Philippines-grown coffee is the best.

You know what the best thing about coffee is? It's legal!

This ones for Guy F , 

I hope the profanity does not infringe the site rules ,this is a fun reaction to our politicians Screenshot_20191030-100020_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20191030-100020_Facebook.jpg

• Hmm thinking 1