Using a North American propane BBQ in Philippines

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Gary D said:

As far as I'm aware it's all LPG here as it never gets cold enough to need propane. Should work just fine.

Hey Gary... What is the difference between LPG and Propane... My understanding is that there is no difference - they are both the same thing but just with different monikers?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

In some locations LPG and Propane are the same gas, but in other places LPG is a mix of propane and butane and/or iso butane.  They are similar gases and can be used in most LPG burners but some combinations light and burn better in low temperatures.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hey Gary... What is the difference between LPG and Propane... My understanding is that there is no difference - they are both the same thing but just with different monikers?

Yes I guess they are the same but you tend to get either propane or butane (both LPGs) Propane has 8 hydrogen molecules were as butane 10. Propane freezes at a lower temperature so tends to be used in colder climates or where a larger gas flow is needed. LPG freezes as it gases.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

In some locations LPG and Propane are the same gas, but in other places LPG is a mix of propane and butane and/or iso butane.  They are similar gases and can be used in most LPG burners but some combinations light and burn better in low temperatures.

35 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes I guess they are the same but you tend to get either propane or butane (both LPGs) Propane has 8 hydrogen molecules were as butane 10. Propane freezes at a lower temperature so tends to be used in colder climates or where a larger gas flow is needed. LPG freezes as it gases.

36 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Thanks for your prompt comments, Gary and Geoff... What you both state is correct so far as I know.

Again, maybe this is a USA vs Philippines/Asia/New Zealand/Australia thing? Supposedly propane will work fine in the appropriate equipment whereas butane will not work so well because it has a lower heat output.I will just say that, from what I have seen and used here, the local gas is, indeed, propane. I find it cooks as hot and fast as propane from USA. I did find that some countries - like New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga - seemed to be using a mixture of propane and butane - if that is, indeed, possible. Their gas just seemed to not heat as hot. I heard rumours that it was not true propane, as I am used to it... The way to  tell was by the pressure.... Propane was loaded at a higher pressure than butane in a storage bottle... I did notice that there was lower pressure in those countries I mentioned, so maybe that was really true? I will never know...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This topic came up awhile back.

The consensus was buy all local lines connectors valves and so on. Expect to use an adapter to attach the above items to your grill.

Then good to go.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Interesting.  Learned something new today.  "LPG is mixture of flammable hydrocarbon gases that include propane, butane, isobutane and mixtures of the three".  In the past I thought it was a synonym for propane.  Thanks for educating me.

Fortunately, Dr Google says they are interchangeable.  Google says: "So in theory, because LPG is a combination of propane and butane and these gases are suitable for use with a barbecue grill then there's no reason why you can't use LPG. Certainly there is no issue with smells or odours contaminating the food."  But don't believe everything Dr Google says. Try it and let us know if the food tastes the same.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Australia the larger bottles tend to be mostly propane but there are two types of small gas cartridges for portable camping stoves, the more expensive type supports a higher pressure, costs more, burns better in lower temperatures and is filled with a mix of propane and iso butane (it can vary).  The cheaper type is mostly butane, costs less, requires warming to use in sub zero temperatures (and doesn't provide as much heat per liter)... but costs less so sells better. 

As far as I can tell the LPG here in the Philippines is mostly propane.

butane.jpg

MSR_IsoPro_2_.png

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ChrisUKCANADA
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Now I’m really confused.  When I posted on here a couple of weeks ago I got some great answers - thank you!

I had written to Weber and finally got an answer today - not sure what to think of their answer.

Is the answer based on their desire to sell more expensive BBQs?

481EF960-AA46-4EAD-87CA-5E4384BE4D6C.jpeg

ChrisUKCANADA
Posted
Posted

Apologies - I see that the letter is almost impossible to read.

The gist of the letter is that Weber’s are made country specific and can’t be used anywhere else.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

An expensive BBQ grill here is not needed. The meat that is available here is bought fresh at the market. Not aged to make it more tender. The only way that I have found to make the meat more tender here is to use a pressure cooker. Unless you have the money enough to buy imported meat.:tongue: