Water heaters

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I searched the forums and was a little surprised this topic hasn't been discussed.

So any of you have a tankless water heater in your bathroom/kitchen and if so what do you have or recommend?

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

I am also looking forward to get some input on this topic, and it would be good to know how they should be installed in a safe way? Water and electricity usually dont mix well, so it feels very important to get things right :89:

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I did some looking On line and Lazada has several different models for sale.  Not sure if the quality though but the price is right.  Wondering if I should buy some here in the USA before I retire that are wired for 220V.

I've been to several hotels in the Philippines that had them and they were great 👍.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have four in our house. Two Aerogas electric showers in two of the bathrooms and an AEG shower in the third. Of the three I much prefer the AEG one. It seems much better quality and, being German, no doubt much better built. It is also double insulated electrically which I guess is safer.

In the kitchen we have an Aerogaz water heater which to me looks exactly like the two shower units. They provide a very good temperature of hot water, as long as the house water pressure is OK. Often it isn't, in which case they won't work.

The AEG ones are readily available here in the local hardware stores.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I an AEG heater. Main reason I picked it was just because it said on the box it was German.  I figure they are all about the same. Especially since they were all about the same price.  I have had this on about 5 years and no problems with it.

They are on short electrical cords, so you just mount them off to one side, and higher than, the shower nozzle.  I put a breaker right next to mine.  Of course it is not grounded... nothing here is... welcome to the Philippines ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I cannot vouch for what works, only for what doesn't...

Here in the apartment are Voda heaters for the showers. As far as I am concerned, they are complete rubbish. The water pressure is very consistent since it is boosted by a rooftop pump, but the water heating goes from virtually nothing to almost scalding. If the valve is turned on to a slow flow, the heater cycles often and does not really get the water hot. If the valve is set to full on, the water never gets hot even though the heater indicates it is heating. It just isn't up to the task, so maybe it is just too small a unit? If flow is set to about medium flow, the heater cycles from cold to hot...

When I have stayed in some hotels, the heaters seem to just stay hot and then I mix some cold to get the temperature just right - that's what I prefer. Then there is no guesswork or surprises while showering or washing up.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Got 5 heaters in my house, different models all are still working after 5/6 years, can't say which is better or worse. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I brought one from the UK, water is no where near cold enough here for it. I guess it's probably 8-9kw and uses the flow rate to regulate the heat. The pressure here goes from nothing to very good Anything less than very good and it's scalding or over heat trippng. I think the local units are only 3-4kw which is likely ample.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We have two AEG that were installed sometime before we moved in 3.5 years ago, so I don't know their age.  They are the ones that come as a package with the shower equipment.  As mentioned, they are touted here as "made in Germany" and ours have a 5 year warranty sticker on them.  One of them stopped working about a year ago and I had to have a part replaced.  Both are still working now.

They are fine for the shower but don't get the water as hot as I would like for washing dishes or washing clothes in hot water.

Our Air BnB host in Bohol had Vector brand and they were the best I have used in the Philippines.  He had very good water pressure and they could make the water scalding hot, but were also easily controlled.  When I get one for the kitchen and laundry, I will look at this brand.

My BIL in Baguio buys cheap no-name Chinese ones and they barely work with the cold Baguio water.

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Balisidar said:

Hi all,

I searched the forums and was a little surprised this topic hasn't been discussed.

So any of you have a tankless water heater in your bathroom/kitchen and if so what do you have or recommend?

Oddly we were just talking about this today while out for our daily drive. The cold months are coming up and if the price is reasonable why not do it?:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1