Water heaters

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Balisidar said:

I did some looking On line and Lazada has several different models for sale.  Not sure if the quality though but the price is right.  Wondering if I should buy some here in the USA before I retire that are wired for 220V.

I've been to several hotels in the Philippines that had them and they were great 👍.

I saw them on Lazada also. I'm just wondering if anyone around where I live knows how to install them correctly?:89:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

The local stores here in Dumaguete carry a number of brands made (OK maybe made) in Germany, the UK and Asia. So they are readily available here and there is a decent selection. The place I bought from provides free installation.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davewe said:

The local stores here in Dumaguete carry a number of brands made (OK maybe made) in Germany, the UK and Asia. So they are readily available here and there is a decent selection.

When I took a shower earlier I noticed that the AEG label says "German manufacturer", not "Manufactured in Germany".  It is probably made in China for this market.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They are on short electrical cords, so you just mount them off to one side, and higher than, the shower nozzle.  I put a breaker right next to mine.  Of course it is not grounded... nothing here is... welcome to the Philippines ha ha  :tiphat:

I have understood this from previous discussions but many/most of these water heaters have ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers). How do they work if there is no ground??:89:

• Hmm thinking 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Just want to say that when our house was built we had a solar water heater installed. Hot water took a long time to get from the roof to the faucet so much water was wasted. When it stopped working we could not get it serviced.

Posted mostly for the benefit of persons doing a search on the topic in the future.

So you are using the kind of water heaters we talk about in this topic now or do you have a storage water heater?

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Viking said:

So you are using the kind of water heaters we talk about in this topic now or do you have a storage water heater?

Got the on-demand electric water heaters. Not there currently there so I can't say which manufacturer.

• Like 2

RobH
Posted
Posted

Just an aside. We used to have a central electric water heater that went on the blink (Thermostat no parts. 6 Kw) I went for a 200L solar heater works fine but it does take a time for the hot water to appear. Thats down to Philippine plumbing practice of ½ pipe everywhere. Going to replace that with 1 inch around the outside of the house, not so bad as its at the back. the plus side is that there is no electric costs and even with no sun for 4 days  the water is still hot enough for a shower. the tribe of Filipinos that live here (family) only use cold water for showers and dish washing.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

I have understood this from previous discussions but many/most of these water heaters have ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers). How do they work if there is no ground??:89:

I don't know, maybe the ones built for the PIs don't have it?  We only have the standard 2 wires going to the unit.  There is no ground of any kind in our house (they say the power is grounded out at the pole, by the meter)

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RobH said:

Just an aside. We used to have a central electric water heater that went on the blink (Thermostat no parts. 6 Kw) I went for a 200L solar heater works fine but it does take a time for the hot water to appear. Thats down to Philippine plumbing practice of ½ pipe everywhere. Going to replace that with 1 inch around the outside of the house, not so bad as its at the back. the plus side is that there is no electric costs and even with no sun for 4 days  the water is still hot enough for a shower. the tribe of Filipinos that live here (family) only use cold water for showers and dish washing.

What kind of money are we talking about to invest in a small solar heater system?

• Like 1