Water heaters

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As an adjunct to this discussion, water heating was touched on a little over in the 'solar' post.  These wall mounted heaters are great for limiting the power usage to just when and where it is needed.  When we build our off-grid home, I plan to take advantage of the passive solar gain on the water tank itself, as they do in the Caribbean, to give the water temps a boost.  There is another really useful little trick, called a thermo-siphon panel.  This is a solar collector filled with tubes, but instead of needing a pump, it uses the 'hot water rises' effect to circulate. (panel must be below the water tank).  At the very least, these methods should reduce the amount of heat that the heater needs to provide.  

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And... as usual... we have veered off course again from the OP's water heater question... sorry, yet again... Balisidar...

Lol.  We always do that Tommy.  No big deal.  I think I've gotten my answer and hopefully others have as well.

Regards😀

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Well... It's come to the time for us to buy water heaters for the new home.

I know that earlier in this topic I made the comment that the water heaters in the apartment have "booster pumps," and that they were to increase pressure for the shower.

Now I am not so sure. We haven't been using that feature. So, today, I experimented while showering and found no difference (other than the pump sound) with the "inverter boost pump" either switched on or off.

So, does anyone else have this style? In the stores, this adds about P2,500 or more to the price of similar units without. To me, it also adds complexity - i.e. something else to go wrong. So, at the moment, I am leaning toward heaters without pumps. I would appreciate any comments...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well... It's come to the time for us to buy water heaters for the new home.

I know that earlier in this topic I made the comment that the water heaters in the apartment have "booster pumps," and that they were to increase pressure for the shower.

Now I am not so sure. We haven't been using that feature. So, today, I experimented while showering and found no difference (other than the pump sound) with the "inverter boost pump" either switched on or off.

So, does anyone else have this style? In the stores, this adds about P2,500 or more to the price of similar units without. To me, it also adds complexity - i.e. something else to go wrong. So, at the moment, I am leaning toward heaters without pumps. I would appreciate any comments...

I suppose the correct answer is it depends!  If you have enough pressure anyway why bother.  We have average pressure and our heater (no pump as far as I know) works 95% of the time regardless of pressure. When it doesn't work, I simply mover the head to a lower point and it's fine.  But, this it totally location dependent.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I bought a shower heater without a pump because we have an external booster pump at the tank so I don't think it is the same situation.

Is there a way to check the water flow or pressure before you buy?

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I bought a shower heater without a pump because we have an external booster pump at the tank so I don't think it is the same situation.

My water is supplied via mainline so the pressure varies but maybe Tom is using a tank?

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Not that I can see...

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

My water is supplied via mainline so the pressure varies but maybe Tom is using a tank?

Thanks for your replies!

Our water supply will be from mains. However, we are installing a tank - 500 liters more or less - just to be certain to have water for a couple days in case of any problems.

In my Kuya G research, the word seemed to be that the water heater "boost pump" would improve the heating efficiency, but the explanations seemed a bit vague to me. And I observe no difference with our current heaters.

Like Geoff mentioned, if necessary, we will install a booster pump up at the tank. So I see no need for that option on a water heater. With potentially three or four water heaters, the extra cost with that booster pump would come close to adding up for a whole-house pump, I think...

I did review the earlier posts here and elsewhere and AEG and Panasonic seem to top the list. I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store rather than online...maybe it's because I prefer to be able to walk in a door and squawk if I have problems?

We only really need one heater to start with so I will buy one tomorrow get it installed and see how it goes...

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Not that I can see...

Thanks for your replies!

Our water supply will be from mains. However, we are installing a tank - 500 liters more or less - just to be certain to have water for a couple days in case of any problems.

In my Kuya G research, the word seemed to be that the water heater "boost pump" would improve the heating efficiency, but the explanations seemed a bit vague to me. And I observe no difference with our current heaters.

Like Geoff mentioned, if necessary, we will install a booster pump up at the tank. So I see no need for that option on a water heater. With potentially three or four water heaters, the extra cost with that booster pump would come close to adding up for a whole-house pump, I think...

I did review the earlier posts here and elsewhere and AEG and Panasonic seem to top the list. I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store rather than online...maybe it's because I prefer to be able to walk in a door and squawk if I have problems?

We only really need one heater to start with so I will buy one tomorrow get it installed and see how it goes...

As I think I mentioned previously, we have Stiebel Eltron - I believe they bough AEG (or at least the water heater division) not so long ago.  Certainly ACE carry them which is where we got ours last year.  10/10 so far compared to the Aerogaz unit we previously had.  They are supposed to be designed to work well in areas with fluctuating pressure.  

• Thanks 1

carbpow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Increasing the water heater efficiency with a boost pump doesn't make a lot of sense to me. All you need is water flowing thru the heater. Most heaters have a flow restriction in them in order to slow the water down enough to allow the heat source to heat the water. A booster pump will increase the pressure but not necessarily the flow. If you get enough water in the shower to get you wet for me that's is sufficient. I try not to get dirty enough to need pressure blasting. I have a solar water heater on the roof and just gravity flow is enough for my showers.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, carbpow said:

I have a solar water heater on the roof and just gravity flow is enough for my showers.

Are you happy with your solar heater? How long does it keep the heat, can you get a hot shower in the morning? Have you had it a long time? It would be interesting to know if the performance will last for many years or if they break down and then will be impossible to find spare parts to?

A picture or link to your model would be appreciated :tiphat:

• Like 1