Where to Stay in Manilla

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

If you decide to stay in Makati, I can recommend the Picasso.  Really excellent rooms, service, and outstanding food.  Affordable price as well.  Walkable around Makati, with a short cab ride to the malls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Enjoy your meal.

If you want to order balut, just be careful how you pronounce it...

• Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Pinetree
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I would suggest Makati. It has nightlife, (P. Burgos Street) with lots of bars and clubs. Lots of restaurants in the Greenbelt shopping mall complex, including cinemas. Also lots of high end shopping, and Glorieta Mall very close by with cheaper options of restaurants and shopping. I would say its one of the safest areas for tourists.

Depending on your budget, high end hotels in the area would be The Peninsular or Shangri La. The Mandarin Oriental is also very good. All within walking distance.

Mid range would be Astoria Greenbelt, adjacent to the Greenbelt complex. Very strangely none of the rooms have windows, but still quite a nice hotel.

Budget, in the heart of the action, would be Oxford Suites, getting a bit dated now, but clean and servicable. Then of course one of the Red Planet chain, also close to P.Burgos. Basic hotel but modern and clean. 

Personally I try and avoid Manila like the plague. But thats just me. But I guess you need to try it to judge for yourself. Personally I would prefer Cebu to Manila. Better options for most things, IMHO, with a better feeling. But then again I now live in Northern Mindanao which I find much nicer than even Cebu. But we all have different needs and desires, so it is certainly worth exploring as many areas as you can before making any decision as to where to settle.   

I also lived in LOS for five years before moving to Phils where I have now lived for the last five years. Absolutely no regrets in moving here. Thailand is no longer the country for expats is once was!

many thanks for this information.  It is certainly true that Thailand is not as it was for anybody, tourists or long stayers. 

Edited by Pinetree

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

many thanks for this information.  It is certainly true that Thailand is not as it was for anybody, tourists or long stayers. 

Sounds like Thailand is growing up. Philippines will get there one day once they get over the tourist dollar drug.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I always stay at the Guijo Suites in Makati. It's a very comfortable hotel with great service and clean rooms. I also always get a "Junior Suite" because they are very quiet, have refrigerators and two nice rooms. I think it runs about $60-75/night so a bit on the high side compared to many. It is not super close to any nightlife, but a rather short taxi ride to the Greenbelts where there is nightlife, lots of shopping and some very good - and expensive - restaurants... They offer a free breakfast that is sort of so-so...rice, scrambled eggs, some type of sausage, salad makings. But it's enough to kick-start your day...

I second Guijo, after the Angry Midget and I discovered it it's the only place we stay in Manila now.  But yes, 10 mins to Greenbelt during the day, 5 mins at night in a taxi/Grab.  I think it's the best value for money in the area. Last stay there was two years ago though, but I doubt it's changed.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We stayed in the Tower Inn on the corner from Greenbelt opposite Raffles Residents about a month ago. The room was ok but you paid for the locacation. A double room was 4000p, I don't think we will be returning. The time before we stayed in the Red Planet. Good for the money but a bit away from the action (shopping).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Great Eastern Hotel, right in the middle of bars, restos and more. And it's on the main road (Makati Avenue) Not expensive. Budget type.

• Like 3