Sockets

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Could I fit a English socket into the house that we are making over, this would save us having to bring plugs when we visit in the future, there are sockets and light fitting already fitted but are not used just yet, so I could bring some new sockets from screwfix and could I replace a few of those that are already fitted.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Could I fit a English socket into the house that we are making over, this would save us having to bring plugs when we visit in the future, there are sockets and light fitting already fitted but are not used just yet, so I could bring some new sockets from screwfix and could I replace a few of those that are already fitted.

I have seen Aussies do that when they build a house for themselves, but then they have to use only appliances and tools with an Aussie type plug or else find an adaptor.  I have seen Americans do that PLUS bring all their own tools and appliances and get a 110V transformer so they can live as if they never left home.  So the answer is yes.  It is mildly inconvenient for others who will may want to use the sockets for local appliances but if you are using English appliances and tools and want English sockets then you should bloody well have them!  :thumbsup::whistling:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave, it will be mainly just the one socket for phones and charges for my camera.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Your better off using Scottish sockets,  better quality than the English ones and ,,, and they save electricity, :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

I wish I knew that when I was up that way, do they sell these ones in Aldi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

You could always just fix new plugs from Philippines to fit? Or would that be too easy?:smile:

They also sell lots of plug adapters in the hardware stores here...

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Both our houses plus the BIL and two SIL have UK sockets and wiring, I just cut the Phil plugs off and rewire with UK 3-pin plugs. And it stops the neighbours from borrowing and breaking your appliances.:thumbsup:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

Both our houses plus the BIL and two SIL have UK sockets and wiring, I just cut the Phil plugs off and rewire with UK 3-pin plugs. And it stops the neighbours from borrowing and breaking your appliances.:thumbsup:

Gary... Is your house open always so neighbours can just go inside to borrow your appliances? Just curious...

• Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Gary... Is your house open always so neighbours can just go inside to borrow your appliances? Just curious...

No but the mother in law would lend things out in our absence. Everything in the Philippines is considered shered property and being the rich foreigners house it's the most likely place to find things worthwhile borrowing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2