Sockets

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

Steve, just a reminder that the Philippines is 60 Hertz and the UK is 50 Hz.  May not be a big deal to some but can really shorten the life of some appliances.  Also I think they will run hotter which = $

Voltage, Frequency and Plug/Outlet Type in Philippines. Electricity in Philippines is 220 Volts, alternating at 60 cycles per second. If you travel to Philippines with a device that does not accept 220 Volts at 60 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

In England the standard voltage is 230 V and the frequency is 50 Hz. You can use your electric appliances in England, if the standard voltage in your country is in between 220 - 240 V (as is in the UK, Europe, Australia and most of Asia and Africa).

Thankyou 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

>Never ever done any work like this in another country the easiest thing I thought was to ask those who have gone before me , that way you can save time and money I hope, plus you may find something that you have never thought about, is that what the forum is for.<

(I messed up trying to quote your comment from before)

@stevewool You are doing the right thing. I didn't intend to sound demeaning, Steve, sorry....

Looking at the replies, it seems that just purchasing adapter plugs or sockets will be the easiest and cheapest way for you to go.

Edited by Tommy T.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

You'll figure it out when you get here. Not that big of a deal. A good transformer will let you plug anything you want into anything you want. Then when the stuff you insist on bringing wears out, buy local. No need for the transformer anymore. Unless you need something that the locals don't have.:unsure:

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm not a fan of the local 2-pin plugs, don't grip in the socket very well.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

You'll figure it out when you get here. Not that big of a deal. A good transformer will let you plug anything you want into anything you want. Then when the stuff you insist on bringing wears out, buy local. No need for the transformer anymore. Unless you need something that the locals don't have.:unsure:

Why would Steve need a transformer, AK?  I have brought plenty of stuff from both the UK and Hong Kong and only needed an adaptor.  Actually, i don't like adaptors and prefer to use a flexible bar.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I'm not a fan of the local 2-pin plugs, don't grip in the socket very well.

I was going to post that earlier.  They are easily knocked out/partially out.  Also, is their a right way or a wrong way to insert them - either way works but I sometimes wonder?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

I was going to post that earlier.  They are easily knocked out/partially out.  Also, is their a right way or a wrong way to insert them - either way works but I sometimes wonder?

If you only had two sockets in the whole house chances are they are wired opposite.

• Haha 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Frequency converters are very expensive, voltage converters are not, for appliances that are resistive like a toaster or water heater the frequency doesn't matter, if it has any type of motor or pump the 50hz will make it run about 17% slower and create more heat which can burn the equipment out or significantly reduce it's life.   

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It doesn't matter for phone chargers or laptop power bricks, they will run either 50Hz or 60Hz and most will run between 110 and 240 volts without issue.

Just an plug adaptor is needed for those.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Frequency converters are very expensive, voltage converters are not, for appliances that are resistive like a toaster or water heater the frequency doesn't matter, if it has any type of motor or pump the 50hz will make it run about 17% slower and create more heat which can burn the equipment out or significantly reduce it's life.   

I noticed my wifes sewing machine from the UK was running slow, then eventually stopped working. UK electric is 50hz.

• Like 2