Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Heeb

Barber shop

Recommended Posts

Any folks that live in Subic Freeport or nearby know where I can find a decent barber and laundry services? Also what is the best cable company to use at SBMA? Thanks

  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Any folks that live in Subic Freeport or nearby know where I can find a decent barber and laundry services? Also what is the best cable company to use at SBMA? Thanks

I always go to GQ Barber in Harbor Point mall.  They are p180 which is expensive compared to going to a barber in Olongapo for p50.  However, nice surroundings and good air con are worth it for me.

The only laundry I know of in the Freeport is Subic International Hotel Laundry on Labitin, a short walk from Harbor Point.  I have never used any laundry service so I can't vouch for them or the many that are in Olongapo.

You want only cable?  I think there is only one.  Subic Cable or something like that.  They used to be above PNB on Santa Rita.  Also close to the mall.  If you want internet and cable, PLDT FIBR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks,

Had a nice haircut at GQ, the Subic International Hotel Laundry was expensive 55p per kilo, decide to buy a Samsung washer/dryer combo, the laundry room in the house was converted to a maids quarter but looks like there's a place to hook it up in the storage room where the water heater is behind the house, I bought a couple of wood pallets from PureGold to set it on, they have stacks of them in the back, I paid 140 peso each.

Seems like I'm in monkey central here, there's a palm tree in front with some fruit in it that they really like, hopefully it's not in season all year long.

The old base sure does look different and very shabby in a lot of areas now, we went to the Royal Duty free which used to be the old Navy Exchange and commissary, they were having a 25 year anniversary sale, what a mad house and very little courtesy, some woman stepped backwards into my cart without looking and blamed me for jamming the back of her heel, I wasn't even moving, seems like the better off people here are very snooty, I just sucked it up since I don't want to have any confrontation with a local, she would have heard a mouthful from me back home.

Edited by Heeb
  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Thanks,

Had a nice haircut at GQ, the Subic International Hotel Laundry was expensive 55p per kilo, decide to buy a Samsung washer/dryer combo, the laundry room in the house was converted to a maids quarter but looks like there's a place to hook it up in the storage room where the water heater is behind the house, I bought a couple of wood pallets from PureGold to set it on, they have stacks of them in the back, I paid 140 peso each.

Seems like I'm in monkey central here, there's a palm tree in front with some fruit in it that they really like, hopefully it's not in season all year long.

The old base sure does look different and very shabby in a lot of areas now, we went to the Royal Duty free which used to be the old Navy Exchange and commissary, they were having a 25 year anniversary sale, what a mad house and very little courtesy, some woman stepped backwards into my cart without looking and blamed me for jamming the back of her heel, I wasn't even moving, seems like the better off people here are very snooty, I just sucked it up since I don't want to have any confrontation with a local, she would have heard a mouthful from me back home.

Where are you located?  If you read some of my old posts, we also have a monkey problem.

Yes, washer and dryer are needed.  Dryer is not needed for 9 months a year if you don't mind hanging clothes, but during the rainy season it is a must.

I dropped my wife at the Royal sale today and she said it was crazy.  There was a riot to get the little carpets for p499!

It is normal for the shoppers at Royal to be completely unaware of their surroundings, blocking with their carts and oblivious to other shoppers.  Don't read too much into it; that is the Filipino way, "me first."  Add in a sale, and a whole different attitude sets in!

I find the older OFW type women sometimes have the "I am better than you" attitude with locals.  I have seen some get really nasty with cashiers, etc.  However, the wealthy Filipinos that live near me have been really friendly and down to earth with me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Where are you located?  If you read some of my old posts, we also have a monkey problem.

We are in Binictican by the Subic Homes, this morning I went to walk the Shih tzu and they were all over, sitting on the carport and roof also    In the street, decided not to walk the dog, the knuckle brain niece left the door open (with the A/C on) and the dog went out there and started barking at them. We were planning on having her watch the dog while we traveled but I don’t think I can trust her.

  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Heeb said:

We are in Binictican by the Subic Homes, this morning I went to walk the Shih tzu and they were all over, sitting on the carport and roof also    In the street, decided not to walk the dog, the knuckle brain niece left the door open (with the A/C on) and the dog went out there and started barking at them. We were planning on having her watch the dog while we traveled but I don’t think I can trust her.

The monkeys over here in Kalayaan don't let people get close, so I was surprised when we went trick or treating in Binictican and the monkeys did not budge when I stomped at them.  They were defiant.  That is dangerous.  Especially with the big males.  Don't let your small dog around them.  I bought a air soft pellet gun and scare them aware with it.  Non-lethal but they respect it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They weren't around this morning until we took the trash out, then two big males starting sifting through it, my brother in-law yelled and stomped at them but they didn't go far, I suspect maybe the weekenders are feeding them as well, the security office is across the street so I'm not sure i can get away with shooting them with an air rifle, I might try it from the back anyway, at least earn some respect from them. The Kiwi that holds the lease for this place said he thinks the monkeys got his jack russel but he isn't sure.

BTW where would I find an air rifle and would my wife have to purchase it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Heeb said:

They weren't around this morning until we took the trash out, then two big males starting sifting through it, my brother in-law yelled and stomped at them but they didn't go far, I suspect maybe the weekenders are feeding them as well, the security office is across the street so I'm not sure i can get away with shooting them with an air rifle, I might try it from the back anyway, at least earn some respect from them. The Kiwi that holds the lease for this place said he thinks the monkeys got his jack russel but he isn't sure.

BTW where would I find an air rifle and would my wife have to purchase it?

There is a kiosk at Robinson's mall in Pampanga that sells them.  You can buy an air gun.  I have a Glock replica pistol so it is not as obvious as a rifle.  Ownership by an expat is a bit of a gray area but I think it is ok.  They are non-lethal.

As I was writing my wife called me and said they were in the back.  Second time today.  Earlier this morning I nailed a teenager at short range because he didn't see me behind him.  It startle him so much he fell off his branch!

If they are around your car, you need to consider protecting your mirrors.  Read my thread of a week or two ago.  I just order new mirror assemblies for my Brio and it cost me around p12000.  I have some mirror protectors to put on this time so hopefully that will help.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I find the older OFW type women sometimes have the "I am better than you" attitude with locals.  I have seen some get really nasty with cashiers, etc.  However, the wealthy Filipinos that live near me have been really friendly and down to earth with me.  

Completely agree with this.  As a good friend of ours who was an OFW in Singapore and married well said to me "The only difference between my life here and before in Singapore is that I now clean my own shit from the toilet instead of somebody elses!  I would love to use that one on a few of the superior types here.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There is a kiosk at Robinson's mall in Pampanga that sells them.  You can buy an air gun.  I have a Glock replica pistol so it is not as obvious as a rifle.  Ownership by an expat is a bit of a gray area but I think it is ok.  They are non-lethal.

As I was writing my wife called me and said they were in the back.  Second time today.  Earlier this morning I nailed a teenager at short range because he didn't see me behind him.  It startle him so much he fell off his branch!

If they are around your car, you need to consider protecting your mirrors.  Read my thread of a week or two ago.  I just order new mirror assemblies for my Brio and it cost me around p12000.  I have some mirror protectors to put on this time so hopefully that will help.

 

It’s probably the female monkeys, back in 1984 I lived out in Olongapo and I had two pet monkeys, they used to sell the smaller ones on Magsaysay street, the female would boss around the male and chase him until I put a mirror in there, after that she would look at herself most of the time and didn’t bother the poor guy anymore.They escaped one day and I never saw them again.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...