What do you love about living in the Philippines?

boyee
Posted
Posted

I just bought over one Hectare of land on top of a volcano.  Had to put it in the wifes name but we've been married since college.  I plan on building several houses in the hope that her family will move from Manila and live with us.  I never had a family growing up and am very close to my Wife's family.  If I can put the houses in my name even though I don't own the land then at least I own something.  In terms of inheritance I don't really care who owns the damn land.  Our daughter, mother in law, sister in law, the dog.  As long as I get to fart around all day and play with my Carabao in the mud they can have it.  Just don't kick me off til Im dead.  Filipino culture is based on the concept of Giving and sharing.  So hopefully our compound will get passed down to her nieces and nephews.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Viking said:

Does this mean that if the sh..t hits the fan in the relationship, that the foreigner is free to do what he wants with the house?? Understand that it would be hard to sell it, but can one just demolish it and sell it as scrap?? Theoretically speaking :laugh:

I know this is a bit off topic, but it is related...

There was an American in Fiji many years ago who was gifted an acre of land from a local family. (Foreigners can own land if it is sold or given freely AND approved unanimously by the owning family). He built a small home on "his" land. Soon after it was completed, the family told him that they changed his mind and would keep the land after all. It turns out that they liked the house and wanted it for themselves. (The change of title had not yet been processed - bureaucracy there is as cumbersome and slow as here). Fine, he thought. He still owned the house, so he burned it to the ground and left Fiji. Sad but true story.

Given a similar situation, I would probably consider doing the same thing, but it won't happen to me here.

Just like @boyee I don't care about the land either. I just want to live out my life in peace and L and her family will inherit and do with it what they wish - I won't care either when I'm dead...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

gery0x
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

Does this mean that if the sh..t hits the fan in the relationship, that the foreigner is free to do what he wants with the house??

I'm pretty sure that's the case - but be outside of the country soon after to see what comes... :laugh: :tongue:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, boyee said:

I just bought over one Hectare of land on top of a volcano.  Had to put it in the wifes name but we've been married since college.  I plan on building several houses in the hope that her family will move from Manila and live with us.  I never had a family growing up and am very close to my Wife's family.  If I can put the houses in my name even though I don't own the land then at least I own something.  In terms of inheritance I don't really care who owns the damn land.  Our daughter, mother in law, sister in law, the dog.  As long as I get to fart around all day and play with my Carabao in the mud they can have it.  Just don't kick me off til Im dead.  Filipino culture is based on the concept of Giving and sharing.  So hopefully our compound will get passed down to her nieces and nephews.    

A perfect way to look at things.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, boyee said:

Filipino culture is based on the concept of Giving and sharing. 

This is true, but it can be annoying when the giving and sharing is a "one way road" :whistling: 

Have you guys also experienced this? I don´t mean that those who don´t have much should give us things or gifts but they could give a helping hand or something like that without asking for money to do it. We have had close family members asking to get paid for picking us up at the Airport, not talking about money for the car or gas, but as a salary for the time they spent. This person did not even had a job at that time and he had been helped financially by us a number of times before. Can´t help but to feel disappointed when experience such things.

Most people we met are really good but there is also not so few who actually try to take advantage of us when we are there. I Think that´s the number one thing i don´t like about Philippines

Edited by Viking
spelling
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, boyee said:

In terms of inheritance I don't really care who owns the damn land.  Our daughter, mother in law, sister in law, the dog.  As long as I get to fart around all day and play with my Carabao in the mud they can have it.  Just don't kick me off til Im dead.  Filipino culture is based on the concept of Giving and sharing.  So hopefully our compound will get passed down to her nieces and nephews.    

I agree with this as long as your daughter, mother in law, sister in law and the dog are good people/dog, problem is if one of them is a bad apple and try to take advantage of the situation, then I would care. I would really hate to see that happen or to know that it will happen the day we are gone.

Same thing could happen to us as I understand it, if we outlive our wifes. It only takes one bad/jealous/gready person to start a real mess.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just put in your will that after your death you want to be cremated in your house.

• Haha 5