Battle of Midway Movie

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Sometimes I think only veterans should be allowed to hold office and vote. I think unnecessary wars would thusly be avoided.

Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito were all veterans of their respective militaries.  Hirohito was not prosecuted after WWII because it was thought he was more a figurehead, the actual instigators in Japan were the military heads.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Didn't the Japanese general say something like 'beware prodding the sleeping bear'?

Not really too sure about that, but there is a debatable/questionable quote of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, since it may have not even really been said by him.

“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

https://pearlharbor.org/yamamoto-quote/

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gary D said:

There was an interesting documentary on recently which basically said that the war was won in the factories. The US just out produced everyone else.

And now, perhaps there will be another war in our near future or not that may be won by the Chinese who will out-reproduce the rest of the world?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

And now, perhaps there will be another war in our near future or not that may be won by the Chinese who will out-reproduce the rest of the world?

"There are, as everyone knows, a lot of people in China; around 1.35 billion of them, or roughly 20 percent of the world's population, live within the country's borders."

https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/08/a-surprising-map-of-the-world-shows-just-how-big-chinas-population-is/278691/

It's really too bad that the Chinese did not keep their one child policy in effect. :ohmy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have read many books detailing the Battle of Midway. I am very interested to see if the movie comes close to the written narratives. It was one of the most pivotal parts of the Pacific War against the Japanese.

And that is in spite of a number of mis-ques and errors and miscalculations on the USA side of it. There was a lot of luck involved that, fortunately, worked in our favour...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The Aussies are 'part of the Commonwealth of Nations' (mostly ex british colonies) so we were included in the previous post :thumbsup:

My bad.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

My bad.

Not a problem :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack D said:

“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

I think that's the statement my mother in law/housekeeper made once when my coffee wasn't ready one morning.:morning1:

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I've watched that movie probably 6 or 7 times. I remember that they wanted to see if their communications were being decoded by the Japanese, so they sent a message about some kind of water problem or something like that, and sure enough, the Japanese codes that they were breaking mirrored the same thing. Great movie!:clapping_80_anim_gif: 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, Arizona Kid said:

I've watched that movie probably 6 or 7 times. I remember that they wanted to see if their communications were being decoded by the Japanese, so they sent a message about some kind of water problem or something like that, and sure enough, the Japanese codes that they were breaking mirrored the same thing. Great movie!:clapping_80_anim_gif: 

Pretty sure you haven't "watched that movie probably 6 or 7 times." as this is the New 2019 Remake, in theaters now but not released to video/streaming/etc until Feb 2020.

However, I have also watched the 1976 version at least 6 or 7 times.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2