Keeping yourself busy in retirement

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

My wife decided that when we worked with youth that I would teach them art.  Painting and sketch were all new to me but I find that I enjoy it and love working the kids.  I also do some woodworking and enjoy doing yard work.

Perhaps I can commission you some day to create an artwork for our future home? I would be honoured to have something you created framed and displayed in our home... But I am a pensioner now so it would have to be cheap!!! :hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I used to enjoy building models, usually radio controlled scale model aircraft and ships.

Used to?  Or still do?

I'm wondering if you can get supplies for this hobby in the Philippines?  I've always thought I would like to do this.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

The more sophisticated drones are very easy to fly. In fact they pretty much fly themselves, nothing like the little toy helicopters you can get, which are quite difficult. My drones are a DJI Phantom 2 with a Go-Pro Hero three-axis  gimballed camera and my latest one is a DJI Spark which you can control just by waving your arms. It has many auto features including facial recognition so will just respond to my commands. That one is really clever and can automatically follow me around like a puppy dog. Modern tech is truly amazing!

What are the rules for flying drones in the Philippines?  Do you need a license?  I was talking to a Filipino who has one and he said he has some sort of license.

Is this you?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Can you actually buy drones that will shoot fireworks directed like weapons? My God!!! There are a few times I would have loved to have that capability... even though I am basically a peace-loving type of person...

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What are the rules for flying drones in the Philippines?  Do you need a license?  I was talking to a Filipino who has one and he said he has some sort of license.

Is this you?

That video is brilliant! I must fit some similar air to surface mini-missiles to mine! 

As for regulations, they are very loose and are really common sense. Drones are regulated by the Philippines CAAP, their version of your FAA.  No licence or permit is required but I have heard that Boracay have introduced some kind of restriction.

https://www.thetravelbrief.com/briefs/philippines-drone-rules-to-watch-out-for-in-the-philippines

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Used to?  Or still do?

I'm wondering if you can get supplies for this hobby in the Philippines?  I've always thought I would like to do this.

I haven't come across any 'proper' model shops here in Phils. They are more toy shops. Perhaps there might be in your area. There might even be a model group or society in Subic. They could point you in the right direction if so.

I ship all my stuff over in Balikbayan Boxes. I didn't ship any of my models over as the ships especially are too large and fragile. And I don't think there is somewhere suitable to operate them in my locale. I built a radio controlled German Type 7c U-Boat which is about 78" long. But it is really only suitable to operate in either swimming pools or a shallow lake with clear water. 

I get quite a buzz out of flying my drone which is a good second best, especially as I can combine it with photography.

The advantage of my model railway project is that OO scale is the perfect size for shipping. And if I need anything urgent I can buy them from the UK and ship them via Shipping Cart.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

The advantage of my model railway project is that OO scale is the perfect size for shipping. And if I need anything urgent I can buy them from the UK and ship them via Shipping Cart.

I miss my HO train set that my father gave me when I was a kid... It was set up on a 4 x 8 foot plywood sheet with all sorts of buildings, crossings, lights ... He sold it or gave it away when he downsized his home forever ago... I would love to have that now to set up and mess with...

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

I have heard that Boracay have introduced some kind of restriction.

Yes, I was watching some vlogger on You Tube when they were in Boracay, and someone came up and said he could not fly the his drone where he was, but if he went past X point on the island, it was ok.  They probably had so many people with drones at the main beaches that they had to stop it.

Drones worry me as far as terrorism.  It will happen.  Very easy to do, especially after seeing those fireworks.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Drones worry me as far as terrorism.  It will happen.  Very easy to do, especially after seeing those fireworks.

That really frightens me almost more than anything else. It must be so simple to set up and arm a drone to make attacks anywhere, anytime...  I really like to thank the free press for making this such an available suggestion... Okay... Maybe a political statement here, but I get very irritated that government "secrets" of procedures become public knowledge. Now, I know how to build incredibly destructive devices and how to conceal them after reading "news" online and on TV... Of course, I am not going to do that... But so many people online will read and ?????

Sorry... Steve... I drifted way off topic again... as usual...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I miss my HO train set that my father gave me when I was a kid... It was set up on a 4 x 8 foot plywood sheet with all sorts of buildings, crossings, lights ... He sold it or gave it away when he downsized his home forever ago... I would love to have that now to set up and mess with...

I never really had the space for a 'proper' model railway layout. So now I have the chance to design my own house it is a great opportunity to design in a useful sized attic room.

My loft will be about 154sq. mtrs of useable area which will provide a space for a nice sized layout. I am showing plan for the attic which, if you look closely, even includes the baseboard layout for the railway.

Ken

IMG_2345.JPG

• Like 3