Keeping yourself busy in retirement

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

My loft will be about 154sq. mtrs of useable area which will provide a space for a nice sized layout. I am showing plan for the attic which, if you look closely, even includes the baseboard layout for the railway.

Way cool... I want to visit your place when your model railroad is up and running...what fun!!!

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My dad used to tell me to never retire - it is too boring.  I smiled and told him that he was bored, I would not be.  My counselor in high school said I had a bad attitude when she asked what I wanted to do after graduation, and I replied with 'retire'.  Turns out I was right.  I quit work at 48 and have not missed it a bit!  Work always paid for my life, but was not an important part of my life.  My father (as many of his generation) identified by their jobs.  "I am a salesman" I never had that problem.  I was a cook, later I was a sailor, then I did aircon work forever.  But that was not who I was, it was just how I paid the bills.

I tend to get bored out here, but that is because I live out among the rice fields, 20 km from the city.  Nothing to do, and too damn loud.  I am planing on moving back to city next year.  Much more fun, and quieter.  Retirement was always my career goal, and I love it.

My main hobby is my YouTube channel.  I do miss model building and my train set, but this is a tough place for that.  I built one model, of my old ship, and had to send to China for the model and paints.  One of the  paints came in damaged and I had to wait for a trip to Manila to replace it.  We have one model shop (that I have found) in Iloilo and it is all mechs and various anime'ish things.  Lots of paints, but no military colors, it is all neons.  Not a lot of hobby shops here.  Hobbies require lots of spare time and spare money.  Both of those are in short supply for most people here. :tiphat:

I am a great fan of your YouTube channel Tim. And a subscriber. I can understand exactly how living out where you are can be a limiting and why you are thinking of moving back to the city.

Keep doing the YouTube vlogs though!

Ken

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Way cool... I want to visit your place when your model railroad is up and running...what fun!!!

You will be very welcome Tommy. This is a long term project. As I mentioned earlier I already have a hundred or so buildings for it. My interest is in the late 50's era which is what I remember the most.  I also want to re-create an 'end of steam era' scrap yard which I used to play around when I was a kid. Literally hundreds of old rusting steam locomotives just rotting away in sidings.  I have already created and weathered about 30 old locomotives for this scrapyard scene from a collection of about 50 old ones I got off eBay over the years. It is certainly a labour of love, which keeps me occupied for hours on end!

Ken

• Love it 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

You will be very welcome Tommy. This is a long term project. As I mentioned earlier I already have a hundred or so buildings for it. My interest is in the late 50's era which is what I remember the most.  I also want to re-create an 'end of steam era' scrap yard which I used to play around when I was a kid. Literally hundreds of old rusting steam locomotives just rotting away in sidings.  I have already created and weathered about 30 old locomotives for this scrapyard scene from a collection of about 50 old ones I got off eBay over the years. It is certainly a labour of love, which keeps me occupied for hours on end!

What fun! I am eager to see this and also to show L the history of old railroads. She is totally ignorant about all railroads, so it will be a real educational experience!

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I still have some of the Dinky and Corgi toys bought for me in the late 1950s, here in a box.  I could never part with them.  :no:

I also have my Post Office savings book with entries starting from when I was 4 years old,  kindly deposited by my grandmother, while I. my siblings and parents were living in Malaya and Singapore. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I plan to shoot a time lapse video from the drone during our entire house build project from a height of about 20 metres showing the construction from start to finish in just a few minutes. I will post it here when construction is finished. Won't be for a year or so, unfortunately.

That would be awesome.  Looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Ken

I had a "OO" layout in one of my old places - it was about 10 foot x 8 foot.  I really enjoyed building the layout but when it was completed I found I had zero interest in actually "playing" with trains so I ended up dismantling the thing and selling all the track and buildings etc at a Car Boot Sale!  Was a damned expensive hobby!

As for retirement - I came here 5 years ago to retire at 50 but, after 2 years and having set everything up for out house, I became very bored so I started back teaching again - online this time.  I'd say 50 is too early to retire unless you have a bottomless wallet and/or activities/hobbies that keep you busy.  

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

These are the scary ones 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As for retirement - I came here 5 years ago to retire at 50 but, after 2 years and having set everything up for out house, I became very bored so I started back teaching again - online this time.  I'd say 50 is too early to retire unless you have a bottomless wallet and/or activities/hobbies that keep you busy.  

Maybe you might share how to do online teaching? I would be happy to do a bit of that online and part time for a while. If not, then that's okay too...

• Like 1