stevewool

Keeping yourself busy in retirement

I did a bit of English teaching in Hong Kong back in the 90s. Poorly paid in those days, and more a bit of fun really, but we'd (a friend and I) do it in between construction contracts, along with film and TV extra work.  

Still have my old TEFL certificate somewhere. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I did a bit of English teaching in Hong Kong back in the 90s. Poorly paid in those days, and more a bit of fun really, but we'd (a friend and I) do it in between construction contracts, along with film and TV extra work.  

Ah... that might be an issue for me... I can not teach English... I can only teach American....:hystery:

• Haha 2

The lessons are conducted on Skype and most of the students are Japanese or Chinese.  Good grammar knowledge and clear pronunciation are a must along with a chatty personality.  WARNING - the salary is very, very low and is more of a pastime than a job for most Westerners.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, hk blues said:

The lessons are conducted on Skype and most of the students are Japanese or Chinese.  Good grammar knowledge and clear pronunciation are a must along with a chatty personality.  WARNING - the salary is very, very low and is more of a pastime than a job for most Westerners.   

Skype is easy. grammar is not too difficult for me... but am I chatty? Hmmm... low salary is not an issue. I am thinking about something like that for maybe 20 hours or less per week as a pastime with benefits...?

4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Skype is easy. grammar is not too difficult for me... but am I chatty? Hmmm... low salary is not an issue. I am thinking about something like that for maybe 20 hours or less per week as a pastime with benefits...?

The problem is most of the lessons are likely to be in the evening - may not suit everyone!  If you have stable internet and power then you're good to go Tom.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

...as a pastime with benefits...?

pastime with benefits?   That is what drugs and hookers are for!  Well... that is what I try to tell my wife.  You know, sometimes she hits me for no reason...

But yeah, I "retired" (quit working) at 48.  I just wish I could have done it at 18.  Work gets in the way of life; it also pays for life.  Kind of sucks, but such is life :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

pastime with benefits?   That is what drugs and hookers are for!  Well... that is what I try to tell my wife.  You know, sometimes she hits me for no reason...

Odd..., Tim... L hits me all the time when I make comments even close to that... I can't figure out why???

Agreed... for me, work sucks... I never liked to work as a job, but now I would do it for diversion and also a bit of extra income - but not as a mainstream situation...

Maybe when my sound-proofed, uninvited-caller proof den is finished.

I do have 27-28 meg fiber internet and virtually zero brown-outs, even though we're out in a small village. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Work always paid for my life, but was not an important part of my life. 

Tim,  I like your quote.  Like you,  I dreamed of retirement from the day I started working.  In my line of work too many had no life other than their work with no other interests or hobbies.  As one older co-worker summed it up, "Most of them live to work.  He and I work to live."

Ken, what is quality like from the pictures you take with the drones, like I said I love my camera and I have the eye now of what could be a good picture, but some of the videos you see from the drones are amazing but is a still picture just as good .