Building supplies

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep...agreed.  We had no choice in the matter as the tiles/tiler were the developor's.  We had 3 separate areas where a good 6-8 tiles popped.  Gave up and pulled the lot up and replace with laminate - at the developer's expense which was nice!

I have tiles in the main living areas and a cheap laminate in the bedrooms.  When the time comes, I was thinking about doing the whole house with laminate.  Can laminate be installed directly over tiles?  I would probably replace all the baseboards, etc.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Were you affected by the recent earth tremors in Mindanao? Our house was shaking quite noticably during the second one which lead to the tiles cracking. The Luxe Hotel and Ayala Mall here in CDO also had quite significant, albeit relatively minor damage. The third floor of the hotel had to be closed as parts of the wall plastering and ceiling fell off. And TGI Fridays kitchen ceiling fell down leading to its closure until it was repaired.

No, I live in Negros Or near Dumaguete. Last One we had was  6.9, I think it was 2013. No damage just a few hairline cracks in the walls.

Mick
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have tiles in the main living areas and a cheap laminate in the bedrooms.  When the time comes, I was thinking about doing the whole house with laminate.  Can laminate be installed directly over tiles?  I would probably replace all the baseboards, etc.

There is a felt sheet you can get to put over tiles to lay laminate flooring, as I did it in the UK, it stops the laminate for slapping and slipping, I'm sure you could get some thin felt sheet here, you just spot glue it, it also gives the opportunity to go back to the tiles of ever needed. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mick said:

There is a felt sheet you can get to put over tiles to lay laminate flooring, as I did it in the UK, it stops the laminate for slapping and slipping, I'm sure you could get some thin felt sheet here, you just spot glue it, it also gives the opportunity to go back to the tiles of ever needed. 

That sounds like a plan.  I'm not sure what is under my current cheap laminate flooring.  I hope that I can find some good quality hardwood flooring.  I know I will have to pay dearly for it but I think it adds a lot of value too.

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

That sounds like a plan.  I'm not sure what is under my current cheap laminate flooring.  I hope that I can find some good quality hardwood flooring.  I know I will have to pay dearly for it but I think it adds a lot of value too.

As laminate is a floating floor, or even natural wood they need to breath, put 5mm buffers around the edge when laying, to give a gap to the wall, then fix edging to the wall to cover the gap, after removing g the buffers, dont fasten the edging to the new floor, this gives the flooring room to expand and shrink, then will last for years

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Speaking with Ems about the different sizes in tiles she still would like the big ones , but we shall see the difference in sizes once there , going on about the laminate flooring , I have fitted that here for a few friends plus in my old house too, and as explained you do need to leave the gap for movement, but with such different temperatures over in the Philippines and humidity will it be as good.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Laminate can be laid on any stable surface so, in theory, yes.  We lifted all tiles first because they were not stable.  If you can get away with not lifting the tiles much better - it was a real mess and we had to smooth the area first as the tiles had left a grid pattern on the concrete pad.  You'll probably need to replace the baseboards, yes.  

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are looking at tiles at this moment and saw some packs of hardwood flooring. It was about 1/4" thick and 8 pieces to a pack, a square metre I guess . Just over 3000 pesos a pack.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

On the topic of building supplies -

I wanted to buy some nuts and bolts today so went into Handyman.  The assistant helped me find the right size - i was shocked to see they wanted 45php per bolt - M4 size!  And, she put the icing on the cake when she said they had no stock of the nuts!  Totally grrrr'd at this - what a farce!

Got what i wanted in a small hardware store for 7php each - including nut and washers!  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well after a quick chat today with the father in law , it seems the builders have started to do the internal walls , walking around inside we could see a wall going up and a few door ways being left, I could here Ems shouting away , in fact I surprise if you lot could not here her, ‘ why do they all seem to shout’. 

Anyway just hope the walls are in the right place , me all I want is a bedroom with a bathroom and that’s it, Ems wants a palace, I wonder if it’s going to be my way or a small roomed palace.

Its good that it’s started in my mind , there is 4 workers on site and hopefully the 3 weeks time limit they have quoted may work.