Tender meat for BBQ

Mick
Posted
Posted

Thought I would share this, Beef here is very hit and miss. Sometimes it's just OK,  or cooked in a pressure cooker, to make tender, then next time it's like eating the soul of a shoe. So I tried 2 ways to age the steak, in a large shallow tin with a rack, I put one steak as is, and next to it the same cut of steak but wrapped in muslin cloth, put it to the back of the fridge for 40 days, yesterday I ate the uncovered one just cooked on the BBQ, with a sprinkle of salt, it was tender and tasty, today I have had the one in muslin cloth, 41 days aged..... Wow tender like butter and fantastic flavor.... Better than anything I have ever had here, apart from Wagu house in Eastwood, but that was $80..... So buy the cheap cuts, wrap in muslin cloth, ta daa...... I'm going to try for 60 days, if I can wait after the 40 days are up.. :cheersty:

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mick said:

wrap in muslin cloth

Mick a bit ignorant here, what is muslin cloth please and being 40 days old doesn't that give it a stale taste, here in Aus., its about 7 to 14 days old before eating, thanks. :thumbsup:

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mick said:

I'm going to try for 60 days, if I can wait after the 40 days are up

Thanks for the idea Mick. You are right, some of the so-called rib-eye is more like shoe leather.

However, I have left beef in the refer for just a few days and it takes on a rotten smell already. I know that blood goes off quickly. What kind of preparation and how cold do you set your refer?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for the idea Mick. You are right, some of the so-called rib-eye is more like shoe leather.

However, I have left beef in the refer for just a few days and it takes on a rotten smell already. I know that blood goes off quickly. What kind of preparation and how cold do you set your refer?

The USDA recommends a maximum of five days in the ref for beef.

https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safety-charts/cold-food-storage-charts

Food Type Refrigerator
(40 °F or below)
Freezer
(0 °F or below)
Salad Egg, chicken, ham, tuna and macaroni salads 3 to 4 days Does not freeze well
Hot dogs Opened package 1 week 1 to 2 months
Unopened package 2 weeks 1 to 2 months
Luncheon meat Opened package or deli sliced 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
Unopened package 2 weeks 1 to 2 months
Bacon and sausage Bacon 1 week 1 month
Sausage, raw, from chicken, turkey, pork, or beef 1 to 2 days 1 to 2 months
Sausage, fully cooked, from chicken, turkey, pork, or beef 1 week 1 to 2 months
Hamburger and other ground meats Hamburger, ground beef, turkey, veal, pork, lamb, and mixtures of them 1 to 2 days 3 to 4 months
Fresh beef, veal, lamb, and pork Steaks 3 to 5 days 4 to 12 months
Chops 3 to 5 days 4 to 12 months
Roasts 3 to 5 days 4 to 12 months
Ham Fresh, uncured, uncooked 3 to 5 days 6 months
Fresh, uncured, cooked 3 to 4 days 3 to 4 months
Cured, cook-before-eating or uncooked 5 to 7 days or “use by” date 3 to 4 months
Fully-cooked, vacuum-sealed at plant, unopened “Use by” date 1 to 2 months
Cooked, store-wrapped, whole 1 week 1 to 2 months
Cooked, store-wrapped, slices, half, or spiral cut 3 to 4 days 1 to 2 months
Country ham, cooked 1 week 1 month
Canned, labeled "Keep Refrigerated," unopened 6 to 9 months Do not freeze

Canned, shelf-stable, opened

Note: An unopened, shelf-stable, canned ham can be stored at room temperature for 6-9 months.

5 to 14 days 1 to 2 months
Prosciutto, Parma or Serrano ham, dry Italian or Spanish type, cut 2 to 3 months 1 month
Fresh Poultry Chicken or turkey, whole 1 to 2 days 1 year
Chicken or turkey, pieces 1 to 2 days 9 months
Eggs Raw eggs in shell 3 to 5 weeks Do not freeze. Beat yolks and whites together, then freeze.
Raw egg whites and yolks Note: yolks do not freeze well 2 to 4 days 12 months
Raw egg accidentally frozen in shell Use immediately after thawing Keep frozen, then
refrigerate to thaw
Hard-cooked eggs 1 week Do not freeze
Egg substitutes, liquid
Unopened
1 week Do not freeze
Egg substitutes, liquid
Opened
3 days Do not freeze
Egg substitutes, frozen, unopened After thawing, 1 week or refer to “use by” date 12 months
Egg substitutes, frozen, opened After cooking, 3 to 4 days or refer to “use by” date Do not freeze
Casseroles with eggs 3 to 4 days After baking, 2 to 3 months
Eggnog, commercial 3 to 5 days 6 months
Eggnog, homemade 2 to 4 days Do not freeze
Pies: Pumpkin or pecan 3 to 4 days After baking, 1 to 2 months
Pies: Custard and chiffon 3 to 4 days Do not freeze
Quiche with filling 3 to 5 days After baking, 2 to 3 months
Soups & Stews Vegetable or meat added 3 to 4 days 2 to 3 months
Leftovers Cooked meat or poultry 3 to 4 days 2 to 6 months
Chicken nuggets or patties 3 to 4 days 1 to 3 months
Pizza 3 to 4 days 1 to 2 months
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I see steak houses advertise "dry" aging for many days.  What is that?

• I'm Confused 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Mick a bit ignorant here, what is muslin cloth please and being 40 days old doesn't that give it a stale taste, here in Aus., its about 7 to 14 days old before eating, thanks. :thumbsup:

Muslin cloth is a fine cotton sheet, as for taste great, it recommends at 4c, you can age upto 120 days, it was a really meaty taste

Mick
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The fridge is at 4c

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I Don't understand, Fresh beef, veal, lamb, and pork. 3 to 5 days. Yet Mick says 60 days! dry cured. Whats the differance?

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I Don't understand, Fresh beef, veal, lamb, and pork. 3 to 5 days. Yet Mick says 60 days! dry cured. Whats the differance?

Yeah.... I am puzzled too. I am going to try checking with Kuya Google and see what he has to say about this. I just bought some nice looking, thick cut, top round roast that I used to like to make London Broil. But not with the tough hides they sell here. I am really eager for some tender beef!!!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Jim.... I just spent some time with Kuya G... He (actually, she, in this case) had a lot of information. After reading it, I think I will pass on and not try this dry ageing unless Mick can provide convincing reason or information on how to do this properly.

There's also wet ageing that I unwittingly did on the yacht. All I was trying to do was prolong the usable life of beef on the yacht using a vacuum bag system because all I had was refrigeration - no freezer. That worked and, I think, did help tenderize the meat, but it did make for a bit of a funky taste that I was not so fond of. However, some of that could be reduced by rinsing the "cured" beef in a bit of water.

Anyway, here are two links that you might find informative. I would really like to hear Mick's take on these if he looks at them:

https://jesspryles.com/how-to-dry-age-steak/

https://jesspryles.com/dry-aging/

• Thanks 1