Tender meat for BBQ

Mick
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Jim.... I just spent some time with Kuya G... He (actually, she, in this case) had a lot of information. After reading it, I think I will pass on and not try this dry ageing unless Mick can provide convincing reason or information on how to do this properly.

There's also wet ageing that I unwittingly did on the yacht. All I was trying to do was prolong the usable life of beef on the yacht using a vacuum bag system because all I had was refrigeration - no freezer. That worked and, I think, did help tenderize the meat, but it did make for a bit of a funky taste that I was not so fond of. However, some of that could be reduced by rinsing the "cured" beef in a bit of water.

Anyway, here are two links that you might find informative. I would really like to hear Mick's take on these if he looks at them:

https://jesspryles.com/how-to-dry-age-steak/

https://jesspryles.com/dry-aging/

I'm not here to Convince anyone, just told you what I did as there are hundreds of  videos on you tube about it, one I did worked 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Mick said:

I'm not here to Convince anyone, just told you what I did as there are hundreds of  videos on you tube about it, one I did worked 

I appreciate your comment, Mick. And I am very appreciative of your sharing your method of dry ageing beef that works for you... Thank you for sharing that. I know you are not trying to convince anyone to do this - this forum, as I understand it, is a place to share ideas, plain and simple. Some of them work for some of us and some of them don't... It doesn't bother me either way... And I am  very grateful you shared yours today...

Please don't misinterpret my comments in my post? I was also just sharing what I learned after researching the topic a bit. It was not meant as a slight toward you and what you have achieved there. I am pleased, really, that you found a way to do what you described... I just am not sure that I can duplicate your efforts, so I don't think I will attempt them - at this time.:cheers:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I see steak houses advertise "dry" aging for many days.  What is that?

I vaguely remember watching a tv show in the US about letting the beef hang in coolers for 7 days before the cut it up for consumption.:mellow: 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Most of the beef that you buy at US supermarkets are corn fed. I bought some New Zealand grass fed beef at S&R and it tasted good but very different. Ground beef here tastes completely different from what I was used to in the US. Makes no difference though because ground pork is the mainstay here. And it tastes good with the Filipino version of spaghetti, including the hot dogs.:dance:  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hahaha... so I am done with bbq beef for today. I am making a beef stew right now that will be a killer!!! Even Filipinos will love it - in spite that there is no sugar in it!

• Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I vaguely remember watching a tv show in the US about letting the beef hang in coolers for 7 days before the cut it up for consumption.:mellow: 

There was doc on TV about some Americans going off-grid in Alaska. They dug a hole in the ground and cured the meat with smoke and salt. In winter it would freeze over but kept fresh all winter. 

Love to do that, no more videoke. Heaven.  

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

There was doc on TV about some Americans going off-grid in Alaska. They dug a hole in the ground and cured it with smoke and salt. In winter it would freeze over but kept fresh all winter. 

Love to do that, no more videoke. Heaven.  

I think I saw that one also, or something like it. It's pretty cool how they can preserve the meat and fish the way the old timers did it!:smile:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hahaha... so I am done with bbq beef for today. I am making a beef stew right now that will be a killer!!! Even Filipinos will love it - in spite that there is no sugar in it!

You must be using a slow cooker! I use mine once in a while and add a can of mushroom soup to top it off!:wave:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We have a Sous-vide. I don't use it much. Also it's a bit of a learning curve. It's great for fish. For a larger dinner party it's very helpful. Simply shear your steaks then put them in the Sous-vide they will be perfectly done.THey can be held at temp for a long time so you can cook them ahead of the party and ready to serve whenever you wish.