Hiking and the Limatik LEECH!

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I am planning a hike with friends from the US at Mt Makiling in January and just read that there are so many of these Leeches. Having had bad luck with pneumonia, asian flu, cockroach bite and exposure to TB in my past trips, Do I have to worry about these leeches? Now that I write this and think in the past 10 years I have had all of those issues I wonder why do I keep going back???? According to this article http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/01/limatik-blood-leeches-overview.html there is nothing to worry about.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fototek1 said:

I am planning a hike with friends from the US at Mt Makiling in January and just read that there are so many of these Leeches. Having had bad luck with pneumonia, asian flu, cockroach bite and exposure to TB in my past trips, Do I have to worry about these leeches? Now that I write this and think in the past 10 years I have had all of those issues I wonder why do I keep going back???? According to this article http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/01/limatik-blood-leeches-overview.html there is nothing to worry about.

If you are concerned about leeches... just wear decent shoes, socks and long pants...same as if thinking about leeches anywhere else...

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

And tuck your pants inside your socks.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, fototek1 said:

Do I have to worry about these leeches?

After reading the article at the link you posted, it seems like you should be concerned.  However the article gives all the normal precautions to take.  I am surprised to find that leeches are a problem at the higher elevations as I have had no problems hiking on "average" height mountains/hills.

Enjoy the climb.

Howard
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I don't think Leeches transmit any diseases. So if you see some on you just get them off then treat the cut with some antibiotic ointment. I worry more about mosquitos than leeches here.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I honestly don't know. The only blood suckers I've been exposed to are mosquitoes. And relatives.

• Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Crossed plenty of rivers and climbed lots of jungle-covered mountains in the Phils... and came out alive and well.  :thumbsup:

Hiking Bicol edit.jpg

• Thanks 1