Homemade bread

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have not baked bread since coming to Philippines. But I used to bake bread every week when living in USA. I would make four big loaves, eat half of one right out of the oven, keep another one to share with the wife and freeze the other two. I always prepared these by hand and found it to be therapeutic exercise and fun too. But I can easily see the allure of using a machine that makes it so simple - it's the end result that counts!

However I do bake cinnamon rolls around Christmas time. Interestingly, L and her friends love them because they are not as sweet as the bakery bought versions.

A great reference book that I started using many years ago is the Tasajara Bread Book. I believe it is still in print. It's a good guide the first time bread baker and offers healthy bread and other grain-based recipes and methods.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

I’m in the States not an expat. I bake bread using a Kitchen aid mixer and oven. 

Bob’s Red Mill organic whole wheat and white bread flower is available at SM grocery store several places in Cebu not sure about your are.

Pros and cons bread maker or mixer oven. With experience and a mixer you can control the gluten (more chewy). Not sure about a bread maker. Baking bread in oven with stone base underneath baking pan gives a wonderful bottom crust. You can control exactly temperature and doneness with an oven. With mixer there is no limits on what you can bake.

On the other hand you certainly can make bread by hand. Get a good workout too!

You’re Filipino oven must keep correct temp to bake.

A bread maker is quick and easy and importantly will not heat up your kitchen.

I found flour from Bob´s Red Mill in Lazada, but it was expensive, 500p and up for a small pack of 48 oz /1,36 kg. Do you remember if the prices was similar in SM?

graham59
Posted
Posted

Any bread-maker brands and (personal) experience of, please ?  :smile:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Viking said:

I found flour from Bob´s Red Mill in Lazada, but it was expensive, 500p and up for a small pack of 48 oz /1,36 kg. Do you remember if the prices was similar in SM?

I am sorry but I don’t remember. We did buy oatmeal and another item remember them to be slightly more expensive not ridiculous so. 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

Any bread-maker brands and (personal) experience of, please ?  :smile:

Panasonic won a vote here in the UK,  I found the cheaper machine to make the bread a but in the heavy side 

If you buy one , I guarantee that you will float out of bed In  the morning as the waft from the machine drifts over to your nose ,there is just something indescribable about the smell of bread waking you up ,

P.s. you put the ingredients in the night before,  set the timer and happy days 

• Like 3

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Panasonic won a vote here in the UK,  I found the cheaper machine to make the bread a but in the heavy side 

If you buy one , I guarantee that you will float out of bed In  the morning as the waft from the machine drifts over to your nose ,there is just something indescribable about the smell of bread waking you up ,

P.s. you put the ingredients in the night before,  set the timer and happy days 

Mine was a Panasonic also...  And agree the bread was on the heavy side.  Mixed well but the loaf needed to proof longer and higher.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Useful info' . Thanks guys.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Another vote for Panasonic. We brought ours over from the UK. Most ingredients you can find over here.

We are fortunate that a local hotel here in CDO, owned by an expat, has its own bakery, so he bakes a whole range of UK breads and French baguettes. 

I have also found that our local branch of Itallianis, a restaurant chain linked to TGI Fridays also bakes lovely rolls which they will sell. We usually purchase half a dozen every time we are passing.